NFTS - 2018 Entry

Siskata

There's been a few exchanges re: NFTS 2018 submissions and entries on the 2017 entry thread, but I thought we could do with the specific thread for 2018, given that the interviewing process is about to commence.

I submitted an application for the Editing MA and received an invitation for an interview yesterday. I have very low expectations moving onto the next stage, but I'm excited nonetheless.

What about you guys?

Who's applied, and for what subjects? Who else has received a response?

Let us know!

Hey

Congrats! Just getting an interview is an accomplishment so well done.

I've applied for MA in Screenwriting. I haven't heard anything yet. Though they mentioned in my acknowledgement letter when I applied that I would hear from them late June regarding potential interview so I guess its still early.. although, is that what they told you as well when you applied?

Crossing my fingers for an interview!

Hey

Congrats! Just getting an interview is an accomplishment so well done.

I've applied for MA in Screenwriting. I haven't heard anything yet. Though they mentioned in my acknowledgement letter when I applied that I would hear from them late June regarding potential interview so I guess its still early.. although, is that what they told you as well when you applied?

Crossing my fingers for an interview!

Thank you! And yes, my acknowledgement letter also said late June, so I guess they'll be processing some departments at a slightly later stage. Am I right in thinking that the Screenwriting course is one of the few programs that take on 12-16 applicants? I'm curious to learn how screenwriting fits into the NFTS framework, given that most of the courses are cross-connected yet directors seemingly write their own material on key projects. Any which way, best of luck!

I'm going to convert the tuition to be local to each region so that's one change that's coming soon... but is there any other information that would be useful to list on the page?
Nothing springs to mind as far as adding to your list is concerned. Looks like you've done a good job. Users who are presently at a film school, or have previous experience with one, will surely have more to say on the matter than myself though!

Anyway, thanks for all your work on the site - I've been using it a lot over the past few days and its been really informative.

Thank you! And yes, my acknowledgement letter also said late June, so I guess they'll be processing some departments at a slightly later stage. Am I right in thinking that the Screenwriting course is one of the few programs that take on 12-16 applicants? I'm curious to learn how screenwriting fits into the NFTS framework, given that most of the courses are cross-connected yet directors seemingly write their own material on key projects. Any which way, best of luck!

Got my invitation for interview today! Very excited.

I was under the impression only 8 applicants are accepted, but I might be wrong. Where did you find that number? I am keen to know about the collaborative processes with other students as well, and will definitely ask them that during the interview.

When is your interview by the way? Best of luck to you too!

hey guys!

Submitted for a MA in editing and my interview is tomorrow! And I'm super nervous about the 'test' they speak of? any idea what it is?

Also congrats looks like we all made it through stage 1!

hey guys!

Submitted for a MA in editing and my interview is tomorrow! And I'm super nervous about the 'test' they speak of? any idea what it is?

Also congrats looks like we all made it through stage 1!

Hey, congrats on interview. Let us know how it goes. I've no idea about the test unfortunately, some have posted about it on previous years threads, but still very little information. From what I gather it's not that significant, it seem more like a minor exercise..?

Best of luck!

Well done Memz and Rockin' Con!

Memz - As for my screenplay comment, I can't support it with any evidence. I'm probably wrong! My interview is on Thursday 15th.

Rockin' Con - hopefully we'll meet at the workshop in July! Did you study editing at college/university, or...? And what was the subject of your montage?

I hope so! this is really my last chance for editing become my profession.

But I just got off my interview! I probably sounded like a uneducated idiot as I stumbled over my words and such.

I've been editing as a hobby for a long time and only just started formal training a few years back at a local film school. My montage was about space and the human spirit. I'll post it on the next response if you'd like.

But I just got off my interview! I probably sounded like a uneducated idiot as I stumbled over my words and such.

I've been editing as a hobby for a long time and only just started formal training a few years back at a local film school. My montage was about space and the human spirit. I'll post it on the next response if you'd like.

Sure we'd love to see it.

Since you're interested in editing you might want to check out my blog posts on it. (I'm an editor)

I'm sure you did just fine :). Stumbling over yours words shouldn't matter too much, interviews are unnerving and you'd think the contents of your conversation would be more important than your delivery. Why would it be your last chance to become an editor professionally anyway? Even if you didn't make it through, good editing experience enables you to freelance, and you could always re-apply the following year.

And yeah, I'd love to see your montage! :D

Does anyone know if they send out interview invitations in bulk?
I saw someone got an invite for a course I applied for and was wondering of this more or less confirms a rejection.

I'm sure you did just fine :). Stumbling over yours words shouldn't matter too much, interviews are unnerving and you'd think the contents of your conversation would be more important than your delivery. Why would it be your last chance to become an editor professionally anyway? Even if you didn't make it through, good editing experience enables you to freelance, and you could always re-apply the following year.

And yeah, I'd love to see your montage! :D

haha it really comes down to money. Here in the US (idk if its the same for the UK) but a lot of internships are unpaid and very demanding and I can't afford to do anymore unpaid internships without becoming financially unstable. So while I know I can always reapply it would be a very slim chance of getting in if I can't do any new internships. And with freelance work if you don't have enough experience or know someone its pretty much pointless. California is filled with freelance editors, artist, directors so its a very narrow field. Lots of crops not enough farmers so to speak :)

But I am going to stay positive! I hope I make it into the workshop and be able to prove myself with my work.

Here is my montage I submitted now let me see yours!

Does anyone know if they send out interview invitations in bulk?
I saw someone got an invite for a course I applied for and was wondering of this more or less confirms a rejection.
No, in the automatic email that's sent out in response to any application they receive, they say they'll be in touch to let you know either way. You should get confirmation shortly I guess. Good luck!

Hey guys, I was invited to the Selection Interview and Workshop for the MA in Composing for Film (yay :D).

Does anyone have an idea what to expect? Are we going to do analysis, write something on the spot? Should I brush up on particular software?

Do you think that they are keeping us in the dark as part of their selection strategy? Or do you think that they'll send more info later on (although to be honest there isn't that much time left)?

Here is my montage I submitted now let me see yours!

That was pretty good. You managed to tell a "story" or at least a sequence of different shots that made sense and put together pretty well. Was the voice from a movie? Sounded a little like McConaughey. And everyone loves some Zimmer.

Was there a specific thing they were looking for or was the request pretty generic?

Good luck!

It'd be neat if they'd give editor applicants footage to use from a scene so they'd see how they'd have put it together. But that's probably what you'll be doing in the workshop.

Here's the blog on this site that I've been adding to from time to time on editing if you're interested:

Unscripted | FilmSchool.org - The Best Film School Reviews & Forums

Rockin' Con - I'll upload my montage later, I'm on the train at the moment so it's not possible at access and upload video. I think yours is fantastic! Well done.

I just had my interview - it didn't go particularly well. The head of editing said he was very impressed with my montage, but otherwise the interviewers were generally austere and dismissive. They asked me to watch 10 minutes of a film (you could choose one of three titles) and tell them what I made of it subsequently. It was clear they didn't agree with my comments, and chose not to engage me any further on the topic. It made for a difficult start to the interview and it was hard to turn it around from there, even as my confidence grew. Even when I was at my most excited, they seemed disinterested in me. I think they wrote me off very quickly. I'm absolutely not expecting to make it through to the next stage.

Cora - well done on your interview. As I've said above, the editing interview revolved around watch ten minutes of a film and talking about it when you first walk into the room. I'm not sure if it'll be the same for Composing, but my guess is that it will be. You most likely won't need to write anything. If you have to review the opening as I did, I recommend that you keep your answer relatively brief and general, inviting them to ask you further questions. I focused on a very specific point and spoke for longer on it than I probably should have, and that shot me in the foot. Otherwise, it's pretty general questioning relating to your application. I prepared answers for a good few questions and very little opportunity arose to communicate my answers in the way I had planned, so if I were to do it again, regardless of what subject I was applying for, I would stress far less about practising answers. As long as you know why you wrote the answers to the application the way you did, you'll be fine. As for your question about being kept in the dark: no, they won't send you any further information. I don't think there's a selection strategy as such, they'll just choose the applicants who have a combination of the necessary experience and an ability to navigate the interview to their liking.

Best of luck.

I just had my interview - it didn't go particularly well. The head of editing said he was very impressed with my montage, but otherwise the interviewers were generally austere and dismissive. They asked me to watch 10 minutes of a film (you could choose one of three titles) and tell them what I made of it subsequently. It was clear they didn't agree with my comments, and chose not to engage me any further on the topic. It made for a difficult start to the interview and it was hard to turn it around from there, even as my confidence grew. Even when I was at my most excited, they seemed disinterested in me. I think they wrote me off very quickly. I'm absolutely not expecting to make it through to the next stage.

Sorry to hear that! Although maybe they act like that with everyone like in those reality competition cooking shows so they don't give away who the like the most? No? Grasping at straws here. :) Keep your chin up... maybe you just didn't jive with the interviewer. Well for sure keep working and honing your craft and don't give up... and for sure don't let one rejection stop you. Although it's not school related... I must have sent my resume to at least 100 post houses before I got my first job as an assistant. Persistence definitely pays off.

Were the films they shown you known works or their own creations?

Hey guys, I was invited to the Selection Interview and Workshop for the MA in Composing for Film (yay :D).

Does anyone have an idea what to expect? Are we going to do analysis, write something on the spot? Should I brush up on particular software?

Do you think that they are keeping us in the dark as part of their selection strategy? Or do you think that they'll send more info later on (although to be honest there isn't that much time left)?

Hey, I just graduated from the Composing course so happy to answer any questions you might have. The school's studios use Logic (though you can request Pro Tools if you like using that for audio) but one of the guys in my year worked from home on Cubase. I think the application process has changed a bit, but when I applied the interview was like others have said, preparing your thoughts on the first ten minutes of a film and then a general chat about you and your work. I'm pretty sure they do a good cop/bad cop thing on purpose to see how you handle criticism etc. For my selection workshop we were given a workstation and three clips to score, but like I said before, not really sure what it is now. Hope this helps!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back