NYU Dramatic Writing Program - Fall 2012

@Flinstone I don't think so ””notified all waitlister/accepted”” otherwise they would have already rejected us. I'm not saying it's my case, but I know one person who was accepted a week after everyone else and it was because he got full scholarship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically, rejections are sent out last, often much later than acceptances and wait list notifications. It sucks, but the schools often wait until the end of their notification period and then they mail you a letter. I am not claiming to know the facts, only presenting information and trying to apply logic to the situation. In reality, they may have some crazy-ass way of doing things that we could never guess. I'm not trying to bum anyone out, and I hope I'm wrong. I think it would be cool if some more people in this thread got good news.

Sincerely,
Fred Flintstone

I think there is still some room for hope if you haven't heard back yet. Based on the info I dug from the boards over the past few years NYU DW does not seem to notify rejections last (as other programs do). Although the sample size from the boards is small, it seems in prior years that notifications have generally gone out in the following order: rejections (staggered), then waitlist (all at once), then acceptances (all at once). However, this year, Rohan received acceptance after the initial waves noted above. So they could very well be still considering candidates. Why not just reject a candidate if you're sure they won't be there in the Fall?

Also, I could be wrong, but I think this was the first year NY applicants had the option to indicate on their application that they would like to be considered for Asia. I speculate this added a wrinkle could be causing some delays.

NYU has sent out a note to at least some accepted DW candidates about a meet and greet next week, but there's no reason to think that this precludes them from inviting more people if/when there are additional accepted candidates.

I did get the meet and greet message.

I think this is just a lack of good communication between Tisch NY and Asia. I have a friend who is also not notified at all and I seriously think he has a great shot at getting in. But he ticked on the Tisch Asia box and I didn't.

I lived in Singapore for a couple of years and actually got to meet a lot of the Tisch Asia students. All (save for one Singaporean) the people I met were NY rejects who decided to come to Asia. So I guess that process takes time. Also, interviewing and reviewing candidates does take more time.

I just called the DW department and got all our questions answered. It seems that some of the people who were accepted actually will be wait listed in the next week. Then, some of the people who were rejected will be rejected again, but then they will be wait listed and finally rejected the next day. Once finished with those notifications all the people who have not heard anything yet will be called and asked if they would like to attend. Once the student says yes, the caller will ask if the student knows "the password." If the student does not know the password, the caller will laugh wickedly and immediately hang up the phone. Five minutes later the DDW will call again and tell the student they have been accepted. So, I hope that clears things up. One more thing, "Tisch Asia" does not exist.

Hey, random question, but I'm just thinking ahead if I reapply next year; I know the GRE isn't required for admission, but if I took the test and scored well would it be worth it all to mention? Just curious, thanks!

I contacted the tisch graduate admissions person in mid-january (i forget his title, but it was the main contact person who you are supposed to contact about such things - peter gerena) and asked if i could add my gre scores to my application. he said i could go ahead and send the scores, they would put them in my file, but he could not guarantee that the DDW department would look at or consider the scores. i decided not to send the scores.

i posed the same question to another school i applied to (also in mid-january) and they wrote back and sort of politely made me feel like a dick for asking. "we do not accept gre scores. and, furthermore, if you send them they will not be looked at." something like that.

By the way, I went to see the Goldberg Prize winning play last night, "The Urban Retreat." It was great! Anyone else catch it? Hope to see some of you on Thursday.

Originally posted by mike8163:
Huwriter, Fred's kidding...or is he ;)

Yeah a joke, but in somewhat poor taste considering very many are still awaiting word and continue to come here for updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone accepted or wait listed be added to this list? Or do we have any status changes?

ACCEPTED...

screenwriting:
mike8163 (leaning toward yes, but not certain)
HUwriter (will enroll)
rohan (will enroll)

tv:
rockie2 (will enroll)
dmtr (will enroll)

stage:

WAIT LIST... (WHAT WILL YOU DO IF ACCEPTED?)

screenwriting:
Fred Flintstone (not sure)
oaktreefilm (it's complicated)

tv:
DawsComedy (will enroll)

stage:

I really enjoyed the event at NYU yesterday. If anyone accepted, waitlisted, or rejected for DW wants to chat about the program. PM me.

dmtr,
Do you know how many accepted screenwriting students were there at the event (as an indication of how many out of the total 8 accepted screenwriters may be planning to enroll)?
Fred

@dmtr

I still haven't heard accepted, waitlist, or rejection for playwriting. The admissions director says their window is until the 15th of April, although he didn't think it would take this long. Were there any accepted playwrights at the event? If so, did it seem like all 8? I figured I would have been rejected by now, but the director said I wasn't so I'm not sure where I stand nowadays.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back