Tracking application status (Google Sheets)

Paul J.

NOTE: APPLICATION TRACKING IS NOW BUILT INTO THE SITE! :)

Click here ---->>>> Application Tracker

Hi everyone!

I decided to post this as its own tread so it would be helpful for years to come and easilly accessable! Behind the link you can find the google spread sheet where everyone (non forumers too!) is kindly asked to input your information. Please don't hesitate even if you haven't heard from some school or don't get in. Nobody will be the wiser who "Bananalover13" or "Anonymous99" really is, but for us and upcoming applicants the input is invaluable during already stressful times.

Without further ado:
Film School Applications (this is the old version - please use the 2019 one below)

Graduate Film School Applications 2019

Graduate Film School Applications 2018

Undergraduate Film School Applications 2018

Graduate Film School Applications 2017

Undergraduate Film School Applications 2017

A restored (AND LOCKED) 2016 version is here:

Film School Applications 2016

A restored (AND LOCKED) 2015 version is here:

Film School Applications 2015

Oh, and PLEASE - if you are unfamiliar with how the spread sheet works, just input your info at the bottom and I will move them around later. I have been cleaning the sheet on a daily basis since some tinker around. So please DON'T. No arranging alphabetically or anything. It messes things up and takes me time to set it all back up. *end rant*

Thanks to whoever set it up back in 2015! The torch has passed to us and from us hopefully to next year's candidates and to those after them!

EDIT PLEASE NOTE: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of the site has launched and one of the great new features is that Application Tracking is now built into the site. In previous years our wonderful users created Google Spreadsheets for the tracking and they were quite helpful. The new built in Application Tracking has some awesome new features that are just not possible with the Google sheets:
  • The ability to "watch" a Category (Fall 2019, etc...) and be instantly notified when a new Application is submitted.
  • The ability to "watch" an individual Application and be instantly notified when it is updated with new information such as interview dates or decisions.
  • The ability to reply and ask questions about an individual Application.
  • The ability to OPTIONALLY embed MUCH more material with an application such as essays, video links, etc. This will be hidden to the internet and Google so only site members can see it.
  • And maybe most importantly no random internet user can mess up the entire Spreadsheet anymore. :) This should make a lot of people happy.
I hope everyone enjoys it and finds the new feature useful. If you have a suggestion on how to make it better please let me know. If you've added your application to this year's spreadhseet please add it to the new tracking system here.

Most of the 1400+ old applications from the tracker have been added to the Application Tracker!:)

Search through them using Advanced Search

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice going guys and gals! We are well past last years tracking numbers and the number seems to be growing daily! This will be a great source of info for years to come! Please remember to return to the sheet at the end, both good and bad news needs to be tracked.

Hoping to see more green boxes than red ones!

Should we have a "passed on offer" or something in the vain, so that waitlisters could quickly see as spots become available?

Should we have a "passed on offer" or something in the vain, so that waitlisters could quickly see as spots become available?
Looking at it as a prospective student, being able to glance and see "accepted" was really helpful. It's nice to see where people committed but "passed on" feels a little granular to me. Plus, it still doesn't guarantee you a spot on a waitlist :) People could put it in the notes section, though! Just my 2 cents!

Ps Paul, congrats on USC!

@juliabulia thanks! And you might be right. It doesn't guarantee anything but after countless hours of reading through previous year's threads people have been interested and some have been pulled off the waitlist. Though as you said that info could very well go to the note section for those interested in that info!

hello. did anyone here apply to temple? im still waiting to hear from them. i was accepted to another school but i cant make my decision until i know about temple... i dont see it on the spreadsheet at all. theyre my top choice, the program seems really awesome.

I added a GPA column to this if people want to add their GPA there to help future applicants figure out their chances.

I added a GPA column to this if people want to add their GPA there to help future applicants figure out their chances.

I've also added a GRE score and "materials submitted" column to the document.

I'm also toying with the possibility of taking the premise of this document and creating something like it on the site itself. The main benefit to this is that no one would be able to mess with the data on it that isn't their own. It'd also be able to sort the data and display things better.

If I was to do this... any idea of other pieces of info you'd like to include? @Paul J. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what had happened to the 2015 sheet, but it a lot of info had been deleted. I restored an older version and it should be much more useful now.

Whoops... That fixed 2015 but messed up 2017... I'll fix that now to. HA

Not sure what had happened to the 2015 sheet, but it a lot of info had been deleted. I restored an older version and it should be much more useful now.

Whoops... That fixed 2015 but messed up 2017... I'll fix that now to. HA

Doh! Thanks for fixing it. Thank God Google stores old versions.

Doh! Thanks for fixing it. Thank God Google stores old versions.
I don't seem to be able to keep the 2017 page and simultaneous bring back the old and accurate 2015 version. Maybe someone more familiar with how Google Docs works can help. I'll tinker around with it later when I'm procrastinating writing too haha.

I changed the link in the original post so it links to the 2017 tab directly. I looked at the 2015 tab and it seems fine and not messed up but I'm not sure what the problem was.

Hello gang, These charts are so great. Just noticed USC seems to have vanished off the 2016 chart since yesterday though?? Congrats to the people who got interviews so far. ...even if it has started everyone checking emails and charts every five minutes ... :oops:

Hello gang, These charts are so great. Just noticed USC seems to have vanished off the 2016 chart since yesterday though?? Congrats to the people who got interviews so far. ...even if it has started everyone checking emails and charts every five minutes ... :oops:

A restored (AND LOCKED) 2015 version is here:

Film School Applications 2015

A restored (AND LOCKED) 2016 version is here:

Film School Applications 2016

And an ONLY 2017 version is here:

Film School Applications 2017

By the way was @Paul J. the one who originally created this document? How the heck did you do the pulldown options for applied etc... that's great. :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back