UGH... decisions, decisions

Tobsterius

Hello, hello.

I'm in the middle of a... problem... is probably a good word for it.

I applied to USC, NYU, Columbia and AFI. Sadly, I got rejected to all.

I also applied to lesser known grad film/tv schools, one being Hofstra's documentary program the other being NYIT MA in Comm. Arts. (which has a filmmaking track) I was accepted to both.

Most people are telling me that I will not be disappointed in the quality of education I'd get at these two institutions. And I fully know that.

My problem is... do I accept acceptance to either one?

Actually...

I guess I should probably back track a bit.

I have a degree in Broadcasting. But I love film. I chose broadcasting as an undergrad major to get a 'safe' degree with every intention of working in the film business. If I bombed out, I had something to fall back on. I thought it was a smart idea to do that, given how competitive the film industry is. At the start of undergrad, I made myself a promise.. major in something 'safe,' and if you had the itch at the end of 4 years to get a film degree, apply for grad school.

As you can guess, I had the itch so I applied to NYU and was placed on the waiting list. Not exactly the decision I wanted, but I was so impressed with my performance (apparently just getting wait listed at NYU Film is an achievement, I guess), I decided to apply again. Plus 3 other schools. Sadly, my performance was abysmal.

My issue arises in what to do for this upcoming year. Clearly the top 4 are out of the question, as I didn't make it to the waiting lists; so no hope there.

But... I'm 24 years old, no perm job prospects (tv/film industry at the moment is really... ugh), and I'm itching to go back to school. Do I go to the lesser schools?

Be done with it, accept that *cough* "I am not good enough" *cough* and just go to one of the two grad programs I was accepted to?

Try again for the big guys?

If anyone is in a similar situation, I'd love some advice. Or for the people who are currently attending the big programs, any advice would be most welcome.

I'm lost and confused... I'm stressed out and bummed out.

I have no clue what to do.

obviously the decision is ultimately mine. But any guidance would be *most* welcome.

Ah... I'm in a similar situation.

I got rejected to my dream schools which were UCLA and USC. But I got accepted into my backup school which was CSLB.

I was also deciding whether or not I should wait a year and reapply to UCLA and USC, but my coordinator strongly recommended that I do not. Her logic was that since these schools were way too competitive, it wasn't smart to waste 2 years of your life on the extremely slim chance of getting in. I mean UCLA only accepted around 15 students among tons of applicants these past few years, and some of the 15 spots had already been reserved for certain types of students they were looking for.

We also have no clue what these schools want in their prospective students. I mean my friend applied for those "big-named" schools as well and he had a fantastic portfolio. I thought he was for sure going to get accepted somewhere. He was already a decent filmmaker and had won tons of awards at different film festivals for his work, but they all rejected him without an interview. I guess he was "too" experienced. However, I was the opposite. One of my early film professors told me these schools were looking for students that had very little experience in film making, so I followed what my professors told me and didn't do much but write a few scripts and take a few classes.

So yea... I'm leaning towards just giving up on my dream schools and going to the school I was accepted in and start my film career ASAP. I mean, most of the big names in film making didn't go to these schools anyways. I think a lot of becoming a successful film maker is your personal talent and drive, not the school you came from.

Originally posted by Daisuke89:

We also have no clue what these schools want in their prospective students.

EXACTLY! I have a friend in the Musical Theatre MFA program at Tisch... so I emailed her... trying to get some insight into the application process. She basically told me that Tisch's app process/decision making is almost a complete mystery.

Sometimes the thing you think you need is not the right thing for you! I have heard that CSLB has an excellent film program and also heard from a friend who knows a famous director down south, that not only is the director's son at CSLB but, so are two other sons of well known directors! So stand up straight and go make the best of it. That is the school after all where Speilberg started! when if comes to film what you produce is far more important than where you go. I would advise you to get to know your fellow students, faculty, network and take advantage of as many internship opportunities as possible. Good luck you're going to do great!

I got rejected to my dream schools which were UCLA and USC. But I got accepted into my backup school which was CSLB.

I was also deciding whether or not I should wait a year and reapply to UCLA and USC, but my coordinator strongly recommended that I do not. Her logic was that since these schools were way too competitive, it wasn't smart to waste 2 years of your life on the extremely slim chance of getting in. I mean UCLA only accepted around 15 students among tons of applicants these past few years, and some of the 15 spots had already been reserved for certain types of students they were looking for.

We also have no clue what these schools want in their prospective students. I mean my friend applied for those "big-named" schools as well and he had a fantastic portfolio. I thought he was for sure going to get accepted somewhere. He was already a decent filmmaker and had won tons of awards at different film festivals for his work, but they all rejected him without an interview. I guess he was "too" experienced. However, I was the opposite. One of my early film professors told me these schools were looking for students that had very little experience in film making, so I followed what my professors told me and didn't do much but write a few scripts and take a few classes.

So yea... I'm leaning towards just giving up on my dream schools and going to the school I was accepted in and start my film career ASAP. I mean, most of the big names in film making didn't go to these schools anyways. I think a lot of becoming a successful film maker is your personal talent and drive, not the school you came from.

Hi, I'm a mom of an entering freshman. We were just at Chapman University where he will be attending in the fall and I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting some outstanding grad students. I'm curious as to why you did not apply to the Dodge College of Film, out here many industry professionals that we have spoken with put it in the same category of competitors as USC. Many of the grad students that we met enjoy close access to teachers who have real- world-industry experience and contacts. They like getting to be "big fish" in a smaller pond. You did not mention whether you were leaning toward Indie, documentary or narrative feature films. This would be helpful to know. If you are interested in playing a part in features, our advisors have emphasized the absolute need to be in SO CAl; however, if you are into Indies or documentaries, that is not so important. My advice to you is NEVER QUIT DREAMING! Follow what you love and the money will follow you. Maybe you could work for one year and then apply again to USC, Chapman and I would suggest maybe cast a broader net and be open to the possibility that a big name school might not be the right fit for you. Remember Spielberg started off at Cal State Long Beach. Quality work can originate from just about anywhere. And cream always rises to the top. Good luck and dream big!

Well said!

Originally posted by Katlovesfilm:
... I would suggest maybe cast a broader net and be open to the possibility that a big name school might not be the right fit for you. Remember Spielberg started off at Cal State Long Beach. Quality work can originate from just about anywhere. And cream always rises to the top. Good luck and dream big!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back