USC School of Cinematic Arts MFA Screenwriting Fall 2020

sarahkwUT

Supporting Member
Still working on mine! The "easy" stuff is done - autobiographical sketch, greatest challenge, actual application, etc. Just working on those writing samples. I'm a bit more behind than I'd like to be thanks to a concussion, but it'll all get done and submitted by 11//14 (14th because I'm traveling on the 15th!)

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
FYI a private essay and script seeing feedback group has been created. :)

studio54

Supporting Member
I submitted too! I submitted then hours later was hit with an anxiety attack when I coincidentally came across a show that has a very similar storyline to my writing sample. 😭

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Anxiety after pushing that submit button is very common on these forums. You're in good company. :)

KatieeveD

What happens with sending official transcripts including your USC ID number? When do I get the ID number? Because it says that I should have sent physical transcripts as soon as possible but I don't remember getting a USC ID number so do I only get it once I've submitted the application?

ams2020

I couldn't find specific info about formatting. I know UCLA's App had very specific rules as far as spacing and headers that were required.

Do the writing samples that are not in script format (character sketch and challenging moment) have to be double spaced? What about font?

ams2020

What happens with sending official transcripts including your USC ID number? When do I get the ID number? Because it says that I should have sent physical transcripts as soon as possible but I don't remember getting a USC ID number so do I only get it once I've submitted the application?
I was also unsure how to send my transcript I have the ID number and it's on the right-hand corner of your app, but I'm not sure where to send physical transcript.

Write2Eat

I sent my transcript several weeks ago using the ID number on the grad school app and got a notice that it was received and uploaded to my application a few days later.

ETA: I used this information

Official transcripts can be mailed to the address below.
University of Southern California
USC Office of Graduate Admission

3601 South Flower Street
Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0915

Last edited:

studio54

Supporting Member
I was also unsure how to send my transcript I have the ID number and it's on the right-hand corner of your app, but I'm not sure where to send physical transcript.
The number on the right-hand corner is not your USC ID that should go on your transcript cover sheet, that is your CAS ID. You get your USC ID 2-3 days after you submit your application.

studio54

Supporting Member
Yes, I think I may have been lucky and mine just ended up where it needed to be, but I also wrote to admissions to doublecheck.
I'm sure a lot of people mix up the two IDs (because.... why do we need two IDs?) but considering the transcript cover sheet isn't mandatory anyway, they probably just match the info based off your name. :)

sarahkwUT

Supporting Member
Can someone check my understanding on submitting my transcript?

I'm understanding it as:

I can submit the official PDF from my undergrad (Tennessee), but need to also send a hard physical copy?

This feels like it should be the easy part of this application and yet this is where I'm scratching my head. Blame it on stress (and a recent concussion - excellent time to smack my head with a barbell).

KatieeveD

How long are people's creative portfolio lists? I'm unsure whether to add in EVERYTHING I've written over the last few years or just leave it to what's been published? I feel like I just haven't got enough!

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
How long are people's creative portfolio lists? I'm unsure whether to add in EVERYTHING I've written over the last few years or just leave it to what's been published? I feel like I just haven't got enough!
Someone else asked something similar in another thread but I'd only list things that you'd hand over without hesitation if they asked to see it if that helps.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse