2014' Acceptance / Interviews / Rejections

I'm interviewing this Sunday on Skype with USC. Just working out a time with Jeremy Kagan, who is conducting the interview, because I'm 11 hours ahead of California. Aside from those setbacks....Interview with USC!

So glad to hear that! Good luck to you :)

What's weird is that after freaking out for two straight time-wasting weeks about whether I will receive two rejections and/or acceptances (or one of each), a wave of calmness has washed over me and I'm finally back at writing...thankfully. Coming back to reality is great.

I, too, had "the dream" but mine was more "Hey check out this letter...it says you're in - maybe." Hilarious, but not really. :D

Anyone else notice this forum has become a ghost town vs. year's past...weird, right? Kinda bums me out after checking out the hundreds of posts of support, etc. from back in the day.

For sure, so far, we know a fortunate (and well-deserved per background descriptions) two have had requests for interviews for UCLA which is awesome but other than that...nada.

JFadley - Very-Buddha and well said. Life, man, life.

Real quick valeskarod or utahfilmgirl - would either of you recommend a writer's group out here in the LAh?
JFSWLA
I wish I could recommend one, but I don't really know any :(

My only 'advice' would be to take a writing class somewhere to meet people who would want to form one. The one I'm a part of is just a few people from a class I took, and I'm keeping in touch with them via email for the time being.

I did go to an event through the writing pad (writingpad.com, they invite screenwriters to talk about their experiences or do panels) a while back and they mentioned wanting to put something together so that writers could meet each other. So keep an eye out for that.

Also, try going to any Writer's Guild events. They're filled with aspiring writers :)

C
I'm interviewing this Sunday on Skype with USC. Just working out a time with Jeremy Kagan, who is conducting the interview, because I'm 11 hours ahead of California. Aside from those setbacks....Interview with USC!
Good luck! BTW, did you apply for the Producing program or the Production program?

Congratulations! And good luck.

Also, thanks for the stats you posted earlier.

It just occurred to me today to look in on the next year prospective students. We're in the thick of writing a feature in 9 weeks, among other classes, time gets away!!!
Who is interviewing you at UCLA?
Hi there, thanks for checking in on this thread! I have read some of your posts in the past, and appreciate you coming back here to offer some insight. :)

Not sure yet who my interview is with. I received a follow-up email on Friday stating that the interview would take place in LA between March 3-7. I was asked to send my preference on days/times. Have not heard back yet on the set date.

Did you do your interview in LA? How many people were involved in your interview?

As a UCLA MFA Screenwriter I offered the advice on a different thread to file your FAFSA by March 1st. I blew that deadline last year and it made no difference, but my financial aid was all federal loan based and I didn't take 100%, so I won't guarantee that missing the deadline will have zero effect on anyone else.
Anyway, I hear that the UCLA program is the hardest (by numbers) writing program to get into and the hardest (by numbers) program in the entire UC system to get into, so if you got an interview congrats! There are people in my cohort who applied three or four times and interviewed three times before getting in so there's always next year! It feels a little random, but if you're in the interview pool you have already stood out among your peers. Persistence, work and growth are key and the admissions at UCLA knows this, so thank you, come again!
That said, I love it at UCLA and I look forward to seeing some new faces next year!
(and if you think you have questions now, wait until you're admitted and have to navigate the byzantine UC system, whew)

Great info! Due to your post about the March 1st deadline, I quickly completed my FAFSA application. Thank you thank you!

I'm terribly excited about the interview-well, excited, anxious and nervous! Haha. I will post more here as I find out more.

Best of luck to us all!

Hey, everyone! I just got a call today from AFI asking for an interview for the Directing program. I'm incredibly excited but obviously don't want to get my hopes up. Has anyone else been called yet? And does anyone have any tips for interviewing with AFI?

What's weird is that after freaking out for two straight time-wasting weeks about whether I will receive two rejections and/or acceptances (or one of each), a wave of calmness has washed over me and I'm finally back at writing...thankfully. Coming back to reality is great.

I, too, had "the dream" but mine was more "Hey check out this letter...it says you're in - maybe." Hilarious, but not really. :D

Anyone else notice this forum has become a ghost town vs. year's past...weird, right? Kinda bums me out after checking out the hundreds of posts of support, etc. from back in the day.

For sure, so far, we know a fortunate (and well-deserved per background descriptions) two have had requests for interviews for UCLA which is awesome but other than that...nada.

JFadley - Very-Buddha and well said. Life, man, life.

Real quick valeskarod or utahfilmgirl - would either of you recommend a writer's group out here in the LAh?

Hi there,
Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for writers groups out that way either. I can tell you that my group was formed with members who went through the Screenwriting Fellowship Program here in Utah with me. I found a few likeminded writers and we formed our own group separate from the Fellowship writing groups. You might be able to go through a local film center, Indie Movie House, or even a school to find likeminded writers and writing groups. Our local library here has even organized a creative writing group. Those avenues would be my first recommendation.

Good luck! :)

Hey, everyone! I just got a call today from AFI asking for an interview for the Directing program. I'm incredibly excited but obviously don't want to get my hopes up. Has anyone else been called yet? And does anyone have any tips for interviewing with AFI?
Congrats! I haven't yet heard back from AFI (Screenwriting). Good news that they are beginning to notify applicants.

Best of luck with your interview. Do you know when it's taking place?

Did you do your interview in LA? How many people were involved in your interview?

I have lived in LA for 12 years and did the professional program here, so I did just pop over to campus and interview in person. Generally you only interview with one person in the room. I have heard that the co-chairs will tag team an interview in NYC, but that's probably a logistics thing. And some of our acceptances did a skype interview too, so that's completely legit.
The whole process feels a little bit random from the outside, but the conventional wisdom is they have an idea of who they want ahead of the interviews and the interviews serve the purpose of gauging your personality (which is VERY important). I imagine that a few people wash out due to bad interviews, but if you are sane hang in there, I know a few people in the first wave of acceptances declined for financial reasons (it's tough for international students to get loans) or possibly went to another program. But we all know you DO NOT turn down UCLA right?! :p
I think in the end though you will be pleasantly surprised by how kind, intelligent and talented your fellow students are, so the system must be working! :)

Hey everyone,

I just found out my UCLA interview is going to be conducted by four professors at the same time. Did anyone get that as well? Or is it different according to the program? (My only assumption at the moment).

Cheers,
R

International film directing applicant from the US here. I received an interview invitation today by email from Columbia University. They scheduled my appointment and gave me the names of two interviewers.
But not from UCLA, USC and NYU yet.

just got done with my interview w/ Jeremy Kagan. He was extremely nice and personal, but what you guys want to know is what he asked.

What films have I seen recently, and what/which one did I like the most and why?

What Director, alive or dead, would I like to get inside of their head and why?

If I had unlimited funds to make any movie I wanted, what would it be?

then the rest of it was filled with; what's it like to be in the Army, what do I do in the military, what kind of shooting did I do (camera work), and what are my views on how people perceive the military.

the whole thing took 30mins, and was pretty damn nerve racking. Still, it went-OK. Overall, I'm glad it happened and for the experience. Best of luck to everyone!

just got done with my interview w/ Jeremy Kagan. He was extremely nice and personal, but what you guys want to know is what he asked.

What films have I seen recently, and what/which one did I like the most and why?

What Director, alive or dead, would I like to get inside of their head and why?

If I had unlimited funds to make any movie I wanted, what would it be?

then the rest of it was filled with; what's it like to be in the Army, what do I do in the military, what kind of shooting did I do (camera work), and what are my views on how people perceive the military.

the whole thing took 30mins, and was pretty damn nerve racking. Still, it went-OK. Overall, I'm glad it happened and for the experience. Best of luck to everyone!
!

Best of Luck! Did you have prior work experience ? And what's your first choice of school?

I'm a Combat Cameraman in the Army and I've been documenting the War since we Surged into Iraq, back in March 03'. I was a part of the initial ground element, tasked with documenting troop movement and activities within theater. Then again in 04-05', 10'-11', and one last time: currently in Kuwait. I have extensive documentary shooting experience. Still, it isn't refined to the sharp edge I need as a future story teller. I feel more like a chuck of steel awaiting to be forged and tempered into a fine blade.

USC is my top choice but I'm realistic about cost of school+living then divided by expenses of shooting my own pieces. Seems like it's a great place to make connections and network, though! Syracuse, has a year in Prague program with the International Film and Television Academy, Columbia College's access to equipment and undergraduate student help is phenomenal, then DePaul is a new comer to the film school scene and has been making huge strides since 08' to be competitive. They all have strengths. I'm kicking myself in the ass though, I wish I applied to Chapman and FSU. Had I known UT@Austin required the GMAT I would have taken it before I deployed. I guess hindsight is 20/20 or depending on the level of sincerity: 20/100.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back