AFI Directing 2020 "A Secret"

H

Very nice. I wonder why they didn’t like it. It was smart and suspenseful.
I am certain it’s not a case of not liking it specifically - although maybe it is. But they also had 100s or so other people submit stuff that might have just grabbed their attention more. And then there is also the cover letter and all the other added stuff that needed to be submitted. This is constantly ranked as one of the best film graduate programs in the world - so the people applying are likely of a very high standard - from all over the world. I didn’t apply for the directing discipline - but from what I am told it is tremendously competitive. And that doesn’t mean what you submitted wasn’t good or whatever - it just means there were 24 or so other candidates that has managed to grab their attention in a unique or interesting way.
I watched both your videos and I liked them. They were fun, and both had very unique approaches and a lot working in them. Keep on creating stuff - and keep on developing your skill sets. That’s all we can do in this industry if we don’t have an uncle who is a famous director or a family friend producer :) well done on both your video submissions :)

I am certain it’s not a case of not liking it specifically - although maybe it is. But they also had 100s or so other people submit stuff that might have just grabbed their attention more. And then there is also the cover letter and all the other added stuff that needed to be submitted. This is constantly ranked as one of the best film graduate programs in the world - so the people applying are likely of a very high standard - from all over the world. I didn’t apply for the directing discipline - but from what I am told it is tremendously competitive. And that doesn’t mean what you submitted wasn’t good or whatever - it just means there were 24 or so other candidates that has managed to grab their attention in a unique or interesting way.
I watched both your videos and I liked them. They were fun, and both had very unique approaches and a lot working in them. Keep on creating stuff - and keep on developing your skill sets. That’s all we can do in this industry if we don’t have an uncle who is a famous director or a family friend producer :) well done on both your video submissions :)
They also wrote that it was one of the strongest fields of applications in AFI Conservatory history. It looks like a great 'A secret' short film could have just not been enough. Anyway, congratulations on all the people who got waitlisted!

Seems my first post on this forum has been completely ignored. I was rejected, so was the guy above you and now the guy below you. But what really counts is our “A Secret” 5 minute films. Post them here or be marked a coward for life!
I had a blast watching your short film, great great work. Great characters. Was that shot on video tape? Still have to catch up with Crispy Merola's work, gonna watch it today. When this is gonna be all over I will be more than happy to post mine!

This is how I feel about the whole process. Thank you Blainefuller for watching and enjoying the short, I was digging yours as well - the VHS aesthetic and the production design were fun as hell.

I feel no resentment towards the admissions committee. There is no way for me to crawl inside their heads and understand why or how or what or who, and so I can't say for sure that they liked or didn't like anything in my application - they simply identified other applications that they found most promising. All that matters is I'm going to one of the film schools I applied to, where I can collaborate with lovely people over the next few years.

Just received an email from admission, I got in!
Actually I heard the news yesterday when someone that works with international students jumped the gun a bit and sent me an email lol. Anyway, glad to receive the official admission letter just now.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back