• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

AFI Directing 2020 "A Secret"

Blainefuller

I have been watching this forum this year and four years ago but never posted until now. I was rejected from AFI, but still wanted to post my submission for “a secret” and if possible watch everyone else’s. Very curious about what impressed them. I’m not too distraught about not getting accepted because last week I was put on the waitlist at USC (which guarantees I’ll be going to school there by the latest in January).

amcracken

I would love it.. but why should they write us something like that instead of making it clear that everything is just suspended?

That would be ideal but I don’t know. Maybe applicants that got a “yes” aren’t on the forums yet? Everyone in other disciplines are getting straight answers. But the advisor did say that the Directing discipline gets the most applicants out of all disciplines, so I’m sure we were applying with hundreds more. Many that didn’t post on these forums.

ptanderson

That would be ideal but I don’t know. Maybe applicants that got a “yes” aren’t on the forums yet? Everyone in other disciplines are getting straight answers. But the advisor did say that the Directing discipline gets the most applicants out of all disciplines, so I’m sure we were applying with hundreds more. Many that didn’t post on these forums.
So perhaps the only indication here is that there are a lot of waitlisted? Since in here we are 5 out of 5 I can only imagine outside the forum...

amcracken

So perhaps the only indication here is that there are a lot of waitlisted? Since in here we are 5 out of 5 I can only imagine outside the forum...

Well I hope we’re the very few on that wait list! We’ve all made it really far and that is something to be proud of. I hope the best to everyone! I’m going to try to distract myself. I hate waiting. 😅

jioh

Right, definitely this is more plausible but I am just kinda *hopefully* guessing that we are all postponed due to the overall, prudent re-examination or something. Like @ptanderson said, I would love it. It is true that there are hundreds of applicants but not in the case of who had an interview. So the premise was that we five all took an interview. And yes, this is still something to be proud of - I agree! The core point. ;)

amcracken

Right, definitely this is more plausible but I am just kinda *hopefully* guessing that we are all postponed due to the overall, prudent re-examination or something. Like @ptanderson said, I would love it. It is true that there are hundreds of applicants but not in the case of who had an interview. So the premise was that we five all took an interview. And yes, this is still something to be proud of - I agree! The core point. ;)

Yes! I also remember Giovanni saying that about 400 students get interviewed across all disciplines. So that could mean that they interviewed a little over half what they accepted. So yes! It could be a small amount of those on waitlist and many of them could be in this thread! You never know. I like staying hopeful as well.

ptanderson

For anyone who got waitlisted:
You guys have sent the completed form already? Which choice you picked on the form?
And you think we will not hear from them again before 15th of April?

Blainefuller

So far 5 waitlisted, 1 rejected, 0 ammitted. Anyone else?

Seems my first post on this forum has been completely ignored. I was rejected, so was the guy above you and now the guy below you. But what really counts is our “A Secret” 5 minute films. Post them here or be marked a coward for life!

Blainefuller

I also got rejected, I posted my "A Secret" film on my application page. Congratulations to all those who were waitlisted!
Seems the website is asking me to pay $3 a month to view portfolios and other info on the application pages. Call me cheap, but I’m not gonna do it. Really curious about your film though and I see we are both waitlisted at USC!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Seems the website is asking me to pay $3 a month to view portfolios and other info on the application pages. Call me cheap, but I’m not gonna do it. Really curious about your film though and I see we are both waitlisted at USC!
FYI... It's not $3/month. It's $3 for ONE month and it's not a subscription as in it's only a one time payment. Just in case there's any confusion.

The site doesn't have any advertising and its only source of income is from member support and that helps the site develop new features and hire writers for articles such as the awesome new interview we did with USC Admissions.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous