NYU Dramatic Writing Program - Fall 2012

@DawesComedy - Congrats! Did they give you a deadline for when to submit your deposit by? I was L
also accepted off of the waitlist for TV yesterday, and I wasn't sure if the person I spoke to mentioned a deadline...

I don't think he mentioned a specific date for me either. Although I do remember something about a couple weeks to decide.

How sure are you feeling about your ability to go? I should be able to say with 100% certainty if I'll be there over the next couple days. (Offers up a chant to the mighty God of Academic Paperwork)

It's easy to find a faculty list for the DW department... But, does anyone know which professors actually teach the screenwriting classes, such as Graduate Screenwriting Workshops 1 and 2?? Thanks!
F.F.

Sabrina Dhawan is the head of the screenwriting concentration. I can take a look at the Fall course offering schedule when I get home to see who else teaches screenwriting classes.

Sorry its been awhile I have been on here. I was accepted at NYU Tisch Aisa and given a 13,000 scholarship. I am soooooooo going!

To the screenwriters (accepted or not, doesn't matter)...
Why NYU DW instead of the other programs? What do you expect to get out of the DW program that is better than the other top schools for screenwriting?
Fred

Even though I applied for screenwriting, I like the idea of trying TV writing and playwriting as well. The other programs lock you in to feature writing, which some may view as an advantage.

mike8163,
Cool, thanks for replying. I'm looking at the faculty members who are teaching the required screenwriting classes at NYU DW this Fall, and I hate to say it but I ain't that impressed :( Anyone, feel free to change my mind about that - or about NYU DW teaching faculty, in general. I agree that doing some playwrighting sounds good, but 4 classes of it? I'm not sure if maybe I'd rather have that time for screenwriting.
Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at the Graduate checklist and, unless I misunderstand, you are only REQUIRED to take 1 playwriting course during the two year program. Maybe a current student can weigh in on this.

as a **screenwriter**, one is required to take "Graduate Playwriting 1" in the first semester, then "Graduate Playwriting 2" in the spring semester (first year only). So, during the first year, in those classes, you must write a short play, a one-act play, and a full-length play (maybe more). One is also require to take "Forms of Drama 1" and "Forms of Drama 2," which are all about the history of theater, starting with ancient Greece and going up to the present. In your second year, you are free to not do anymore playwriting, i think.

Forms of Drama I and II are courses in dramtic writing, but not courses which require you to write plays. I do not think Grad Playwriting II is required. My Grad checklist says it's optional and that I can instead take Grad Screenwriting or One Hour TV.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back