UCLA MFA Screenwriting 2020

mjweerts

UCLA
We talked about that at my interview, too, but I'm the total opposite. I love the collaborative part of it and thrive in the writers room environment. I've written features before but didn't much care for the isolation aspect of it, so I'm totally working toward the television track.
If we could somehow combine our brains Dr. Frankenstein style, we would become the greatest writer of all time.

Congrats on the great interview!

Alfie

So my interview was pretty tough (not casual, I was sweating) but I think it was specific to my particular resume. They had a lot of questions about my prior education, financing my MFA should I be admitted and Trump. I’m not sure what to make of it but I didn’t leave feeling excited.

fehab77

So my interview was pretty tough (not casual, I was sweating) but I think it was specific to my particular resume. They had a lot of questions about my prior education, financing my MFA should I be admitted and Trump. I’m not sure what to make of it but I didn’t leave feeling excited.
Congrats on making it this far! They asked you about Trump? Huh? That's strange.

Shade

LMU
Just out of curiosity... have all of you who've been interviewing submitted a film script? Just wondering if Neil took the reins during the interview if you submitted a pilot

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
Did anyone ever find out if they sent out a second batch of interview invites? Seems like it's gotten so quiet around here. I was told we'd find out sometime around the end of the month, which isn't far away, but maybe there are more going out? I didn't ask anything about how many spots were open at my interview, so I really have no idea how many people were interviewed and how many will ultimately get approved. It's an exciting time, that's for sure.

Shade

LMU
Did anyone ever find out if they sent out a second batch of interview invites? Seems like it's gotten so quiet around here. I was told we'd find out sometime around the end of the month, which isn't far away, but maybe there are more going out? I didn't ask anything about how many spots were open at my interview, so I really have no idea how many people were interviewed and how many will ultimately get approved. It's an exciting time, that's for sure.
Not a clue. Based on someone who recently made it into the MFA, each year they interview over 100 people over the course of a month. This year it seems like only 50 interviews went out, and on such short notice. More might come out, maybe not. I think if you submitted a pilot as your sample for the application, I don't think they've interviewed anyone out of those yet? Everyone who's been interviewing (seems like, Idk) submitted a film script? I'd say, keep an eye out this week and the next one, but after that, the chances are slim.

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
Just out of curiosity... have all of you who've been interviewing submitted a film script? Just wondering if Neil took the reins during the interview if you submitted a pilot
I submitted a film script but I've moved on to television. It was about 60% Neil because they knew that's where I was aiming. I've done television for the past three years, and my manager only reps my tv stuff, but I've done features in the past. I just like the collaboration and writer-centric aspects of tv as opposed to film. imo, film is a director's medium; tv is a writer's medium. :)

Shade

LMU
I submitted a film script but I've moved on to television. It was about 60% Neil because they knew that's where I was aiming. I've done television for the past three years, and my manager only reps my tv stuff, but I've done features in the past. I just like the collaboration and writer-centric aspects of tv as opposed to film. imo, film is a director's medium; tv is a writer's medium. :)
Same, ditto on everything. I submitted a pilot though, so hoping for some more interviews!

Reactions: j18

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
I think if you submitted a pilot as your sample for the application, I don't think they've interviewed anyone out of those yet? Everyone who's been interviewing (seems like, Idk) submitted a film script? I'd say, keep an eye out this week and the next one, but after that, the chances are slim.
Oh, that makes sense perhaps. I submitted a feature, but my resume is mainly tv. It didn't sound like they were dividing the interviews into genre, just because they emphasized the fact that you don't have to commit to a track until midway through your second quarter.

princessjasmine

Supporting Member+
AFI
Going through past years on the application tracker it seems that most interview notifications happen within a couple days. I have sort of moved on past it, solely because I don’t think there’s ever been a gap this big between notifications. I hope I’m wrong but historically speaking more probably went out and we probably don’t know about it.

Shade

LMU
Going through past years on the application tracker it seems that most interview notifications happen within a couple days. I have sort of moved on past it, solely because I don’t think there’s ever been a gap this big between notifications. I hope I’m wrong but historically speaking more probably went out and we probably don’t know about it.
Any other year I'd say you're right, but last year when you got a notification, you could see the number of slots too and they were over a 100, and pick a date between early February and late February. Seems weird this year they're only interviewing 50 people and in only two weeks, as opposed to 100 in 4 weeks. But I could be wrong!

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
Any other year I'd say you're right, but last year when you got a notification, you could see the number of slots too and they were over a 100, and pick a date between early February and late February. Seems weird this year they're only interviewing 50 people and in only two weeks, as opposed to 100 in 4 weeks. But I could be wrong!
Wonder if that has something to do with the reorganization. I know they're big on small class size, so maybe they narrowed the field down more heavily before the interview portion and so had less invitations go out as a whole. Oh, the mysteries of life!

princessjasmine

Supporting Member+
AFI
Oh, I didn’t know that. This is my first year applying to UCLA, so I have no idea how it works besides the dates notifications go out being really close together.

Shade

LMU
Wonder if that has something to do with the reorganization. I know they're big on small class size, so maybe they narrowed the field down more heavily before the interview portion and so had less invitations go out as a whole. Oh, the mysteries of life!
This could also be! According to my friend they strive to admit 25 students or so per year, but if they really like you in the interview, 30-40 might make it in. There's not a pre-established number-the only requisite is to have gone through the interview process

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21