how old are you guys applying to the NYU Grad Film program? (How important is age?)

Guys and Gals, please note that while this is the internet, we are also communicating in text. As such, we are missing A LOT of elements of a regular conversation like facial expression, tone of voice, and body language.
I don't believe this thread is meant to be some sort of ruler to measure if someone is going to get admitted or not. It's just a point of curiousity.
My experience in grad school is that I've seen people as young as 21 (I was 22 when I got into chapman) to those who are in their late 40s in the program. While the vast majority of us do not have insight on how the admins make their decision, lets not go and accuse each other of things that the admission board may or may not do/have done.
If anything, this forum is here for prospective students and alums to provide advice and help each other, not to start theoretical fights over something no one here has control or first hand knowledge about.

TL : DR be nice. This thread isn't supposed to be a fight. Have a good night.

Everyone needs to take a moment. Context, inflections, and subtlety are lost in text. Let's keep it to a pleasant conversation here please.
I agree with you! Apologies everyone for this, it definitely got out of hand! I know this isn't the place for arguments, and that having those types of conversations online isn't the best thing (It's easy to misinterpret someone's words when that person is not in front of you, we got carried away and that wasn't necessary)!

Guys and Gals, please note that while this is the internet, we are also communicating in text. As such, we are missing A LOT of elements of a regular conversation like facial expression, tone of voice, and body language.
I don't believe this thread is meant to be some sort of ruler to measure if someone is going to get admitted or not. It's just a point of curiousity.
My experience in grad school is that I've seen people as young as 21 (I was 22 when I got into chapman) to those who are in their late 40s in the program. While the vast majority of us do not have insight on how the admins make their decision, lets not go and accuse each other of things that the admission board may or may not do/have done.
If anything, this forum is here for prospective students and alums to provide advice and help each other, not to start theoretical fights over something no one here has control or first hand knowledge about.

TL : DR be nice. This thread isn't supposed to be a fight. Have a good night.
We read this comment a little too late. Joe96 and I have taken this offline and have decided to duel to the death to decide a winner. Feel free to DM either one of us to place bets. We take venmo and Paypal.

We read this comment a little too late. Joe96 and I have taken this offline and have decided to duel to the death to decide a winner. Feel free to DM either one of us to place bets. We take venmo and Paypal.
You telling me all this and have no video to the deeds? C'mon! how are we supposed to make bets if we don't get to see the fight!
I expect at minimum this:

Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

Hey I'm also very curious about age. But my point is not about application, it's only about the life planning thing.
My undergraduate major is film and tv (mostly screenwriting courses) but worked in a non-film-related industry.
My dream is always making films but my financial issue forced me to choose another industry.
Now I am turning to 30 years old and I feel a little bit tired.
People around me suggest me to enter the film industry first. But I hope to spend 3-4 yrs to study at Graduate school but no one else believes it is a good idea to start all over again.

If you were me, what would you choose?

Hey I'm also very curious about age. But my point is not about application, it's only about the life planning thing.
My undergraduate major is film and tv (mostly screenwriting courses) but worked in a non-film-related industry.
My dream is always making films but my financial issue forced me to choose another industry.
Now I am turning to 30 years old and I feel a little bit tired.
People around me suggest me to enter the film industry first. But I hope to spend 3-4 yrs to study at Graduate school but no one else believes it is a good idea to start all over again.

If you were me, what would you choose?
I am in the same boat as you being in my 30s and so many others have been as well. I was partly inspired by writer/directors Stella Meghie and Dee Rees to go ahead and apply because they had other careers before they went to film school. Also, I was flat out told “We love grownups” in an interview (not sharing where), so I believe programs do have a preference for people with life experience and I would focus on that experience in your personal statement. Hope this helps!

I am in the same boat as you being in my 30s and so many others have been as well. I was partly inspired by writer/directors Stella Meghie and Dee Rees to go ahead and apply because they had other careers before they went to film school. Also, I was flat out told “We love grownups” in an interview (not sharing where), so I believe programs do have a preference for people with life experience and I would focus on that experience in your personal statement. Hope this helps!
Thank u for sharing. You made me feel much better and confident now during the anxious waiting time

Hey guys, the question of age is actually really interesting to discuss - I’ve also been curious. I very much relate to the feeling of being “tired”. I just turned 31, and have 10 years (crazy to think!) of industry experience. I applied, because I’ve found it incredibly difficult to transition from a technical crew member to a creative. And it’s always been my goal to direct. Even before the pandemic, I was getting antsy to make the change - and there is no way to make the jump to directing, as they say, other than to direct! I’ve realized there is so much more to learn, and it’d be a dream to focus on developing the skills full time at NYU. In the interview, they did mention they are looking to admit people who have stories to tell and who don’t necessarily need any film/technical experience. So it seems, like we’ve all read before, that there is a mix of experience level, and therefore age. The biggest seller always seems to be about being authentic to who you are. Has anyone listened to Neil Gaiman on MasterClass? I watched his first few lessons when starting my Dramatic Story prompt for the application, because I have no creative writing experience, and he had really interesting points about how to write with your own voice. Good luck everyone!! Historically speaking, there should only be a few more nauseating anxiety-filled days left until we will hear some decisions!

Last edited:
Hey guys, the question of age is actually really interesting to discuss - I’ve also been curious. I very much relate to the feeling of being “tired”. I just turned 31, and have 10 years (crazy to think!) of industry experience. I applied, because I’ve found it incredibly difficult to transition from a technical crew member to a creative. And it’s always been my goal to direct. Even before the pandemic, I was getting antsy to make the change - and there is no way to make the jump to directing, as they say, other than to direct! I’ve realized there is so much more to learn, and it’d be a dream to focus on developing the skills full time at NYU. Instead of continuing to develop side projects outside of the long days at work. In the interview, they did mention they are looking to admit people who have stories to tell and who don’t necessarily need any film/technical experience. So it seems, like we’ve all read before, that there is a mix of experience level, and therefore age. The biggest seller always seems to be about being authentic to who you are. Has anyone listened to Neil Gaiman on MasterClass? I watched his first few lessons when starting my Dramatic Story prompt for the application, because I have no creative writing experience, and he had a really interesting points about how to write with your own voice. Good luck everyone!! Historically speaking, there should only be a few more nauseating anxiety-filled days left until we will hear some decisions!
Gonna watch the master class you mentioned right away. Thank u for sharing!! Btw, have you received the interview from NYU?

To settle this debate for good I added a required age selection in the application tracker. 😜

Also added a film experience checkmark.
Will use this data to create glorious pie charts on pages like this:

chocolate GIF

Will use this data to create glorious pie charts on pages like this:

chocolate GIF
dude....
i'm trying to lose weight here... why you gonna plant ideas of delicious pies in my head this early in the morning?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hi. I do not think that age is important. BUT, I know they are looking for maturity, and sometimes that means that some years have passed after your undergrad. A former professor from one of the top schools told me that they want to be sure you are applying because you have something to say, you have been out there doing things, traveling, venturing, working, etc. In addition, they want to be sure this is what you really want. That this is not just a romantic idea about filmmaking you have and that means several years out in the world trying things and now you are committed to making films.

out of curiosity, how old are you guys applying to the NYU Grad Film programme?
Btw our new Acceptance Rates & Admissions Data pages for film programs have this information. :)

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 2.21.17 PM.png

That's for another school but you can see NYU's here:

More info on the the new stats pages here:

Your Chances of Getting into Film School: Acceptance Rates, GPA Requirements, Waitlist Data, and More...

Your Chances of Getting into Film School: Acceptance Rates, GPA Requirements, Waitlist Data, and More...

You've been wondering how hard it is to get into film school and what your are chances getting into top film programs such as USC. Maybe you’ve heard that their acceptance rate is 2% — but what is it, really? You've been wondering what is the lowest GPA a film program will accept and what is the...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back