NYU Dramatic Writing Program - Fall 2012

@PF Murphy Also havent heard back, the only thing that makes sense is because there's miscommunication between Asia and NY. Btw, agree with your poor taste comment :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Fellow Applicants-in-Waiting,
I apologize for offending you with my post. My intention was to make fun of the NYU DW department and their inscrutable notification process. I did not intend to make fun of any of us who have been accepted, wait listed, rejected, or not yet informed. Keep in mind that NYU is my first choice and I have been wait listed. I also am checking these boards daily, along with my e-mail, missed calls list, etc.
Sincerely,
F.F.

So, I have been slick stalking this forum for about three weeks. Thanks for all the great info. @Fred Flinstone I wasn't offended by your post, it provided a lil comic relief for me actuall, so thanks. This whole process is mind numbing. I interviewed with Asia (3/9) (a great one I thought) and haven't heard anything with New York. On Tuesday I called the office and was told that notifications were sent out via snail mail. I asked were they ALL snail mail, and was told yes. She seemed sympathetic and told me that I'd just have to be patient. Easier said than done.

A lil about me:
34 year old black female playwright originally from Elizabeth, NJ but now residing in Charlotte, NC. I'm a late bloomer in that I didn't start my career in theatre until I was 29 and went back to school for it. I have a 13 year career in health care (respiratory therapy).

Degree: MFA Dramatic Writing (playwriting)

My this year grad stats:
Bard: Rejection
Brown: Rejection
The New School: Rejection

(I'm on a roll!)

Yale: Rejection
NYU: well I guess you know already.

Whatever happens, I know I can write my ass off and if grad school is something I want I'll have to continue to work for it.

Best of break a leg to you all!

rosie1992,
thanks for posting. i knew there were some lurkers out there! you people need to check in! hopefully, you will get into tisch or tisch asia. if not, keep writing and apply next year to every school in the country if you have to. but, keep writing. work on your personal statement. make it much more thorough. make it longer and disregard the length limit. i think making an impression and really putting yourself into your statement makes a big difference.
F.F.

I am an official rejection from NYU (playwriting), however the conversation was quite pleasant and gave a lot of insight as to why this process has been such a mind ****. Apparently the two schools (Asia and NY) had a "shared" application process which slowed everything down to a crawl, and which also explains how my materials got to Asia when I never sent them. NYUs decisions have gone out and Asia's should be out by the end of this week.

I was ASSURED that the process for Asia is as competitive as the NY process and that the schools follow the exact same curricula. I've been considering Asia seriously during this process and if the stars align (money mainly) I'm going to go. Best wishes to all of you! It has been a pleasure stalking this board!

:)

Stacey

@rosie1992

I'm sorry for the rejection news! Did you receive a phone call for it or email? Also, if we've been given the cordial, you-got-in interview from Asia, does it mean you've been rejected from NY?

Sorry to hear that, rosie1992.

At least some of those in Tisch NY/Asia limbo will hear something soon (good news hopefully!).

One cool thing that was mentioned at the DW shindig last week is that, unlike at Tisch NY, Tisch Asia offers classes in which DW students are paired with production students to make short films. Goodluck to everyone!

Hi all!

I'm a grad student in Berkeley (non-creative writing), and one of my friends has an interview for Tisch Asia's Dramatic Writing (playwriting) tonight!

They are really nervous, and not much of an online person, but as I am, I did some researching and found this thread. Hope everyone here gets encouraging news and/or keeps their spirits up for next year!

Am writing to ask if any playwriting interviewees could share what the interview was like? Browsing through most stories seemed to be by folks with a screen/tv writing concentration. Seems like a pretty consistent thread of being asked to create a story on the spot, and also why you want to be in grad school (or Singapore specifically?). Would love if playwriting interviewees could confirm/elaborate.

Thanks!

@benifox I'm not sure at all if acceptance to Asia means rejection from NY. I became fed up with the process and just called New York. The director of admissions was very gracious and concerned as to whether I had other schools on hold.

@tk20, I think I inboxed you about the interview on another board.

@tk20

Hello! I'm a playwriting applicant to NY and Asia. My interview with Asia was a month ago via telephone and went very well. It really wasn't even an interview and was more a telling me about the program and asking if I had questions. Then at the end, I asked if this meant admission and she told me not to worry, that they wanted me to attend, and that financial aid offers were being packaged up. She said she couldn't say officially, but that I didn't need to worry about acceptance. HOWEVER: This was over a month ago and I've yet to hear anything from them, other than a pamphlet talking about housing in Singapore. I'm optimistic as I'm sure they wouldn't lead me on and then drop me, but I'm still nervous. The interview was fantastic and easy-going though. No "create a story" or "what does pain mean to you?" situations. And I'm interested in Singapore for its growing arts scene and the structure of the program there.

Can anyone accepted or wait listed be added to this list? Or do we have any status changes?

ACCEPTED...

screenwriting:
mike8163 (will enroll)
HUwriter (will enroll)
rohan (will enroll)

tv:
rockie2 (will enroll)
dmtr (will enroll)

stage:
benifox (*ASIA* probably accepted, will enroll)

WAIT LIST... (WHAT WILL YOU DO IF ACCEPTED?)

screenwriting:
Fred Flintstone (not sure)
oaktreefilm (it's complicated)

tv:
DawsComedy (will enroll)

stage:

Thanks @benifox and @rosie1992. They had a similar interview to what you both shared -- hopefully everyone will be hearing back soon!

@benifox no official acceptance, but like you I got the pamphlet by email. I'm anxious and confused and ready to know SOMETHING. If I'm in I need to start planning for me and my son (13) whose coming with me. I think that was just a cry to the universe, lol ;)

Hi everybody, I've been lurking for a couple weeks. I had my interview and it went really well just like everybody else. My concentration is Screenwriting and I just wanted to know from the people that were accepted, did you receive a letter or an email? Thank you!

PS: After my interview, the man in charge, has sent me quite a few emails about when I should be moving to Singapore, but never a pamphlet. (interviewed a week ago) So, I don't know if I should be worried. Also, I haven't been rejected by NYU at New York either.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back