NYU Tisch Dramatic Writing Interviews

Hello. This is my first post.

Has anyone else been contacted by Tisch Dramatic Writing for phone interview? I had mine, but the whole process was quite bizzare, and I am wondering what others' experiences are.

This is for NYC not Asia, but I'm open to hear anyone's experiences!

Thanks!

MM

Hi Mariam,

I applied to the Dramatic Writing program as well, but haven't heard from them.

If you don't mind, how/when were you contacted and when was the interview?

And tell us a little about what it was like...

Thanks,
P

I got an email last friday saying that someone would be calling me "within the next few days" to discuss my interest in the program. Then, monday morning--without warning-- I get a call on my cell phone from the interviewer. She was very nice but I felt totally caught off guard. At the beginning of the interview she admitted that she hadnt even looked at my file so she knew nothing about me. I wasn't sure what to make of that... The interview lasted around ten to fifteen minutes. I was really nervous because I felt unprepared and as if I wasnt given a chance to put my best foot forward.

So that's what happened. here's hoping for the best...!

I spoke to someone in the department on Thursday the 13th and probed them for info:

Apparently in the past they've let any number of students into the program without interview, but now are transitioning into having everyone interviewed by phone before admission. With that said, it seemed unclear if everyone admitted this year would have a phone interview - possibly not.

But there is hope for us idlers, because they haven't finished the interview process. Their offices are closed next week for Spring break, and they'll resume, and probably finish, their calls/emails the first week of April.

P

Yeah, so I just got off the phone with the office of dramatic writing and, like pinto said, I didn't really get a clear answer. I asked if they were interviewing potential cadidates and the lady said "no, not really." She said acceptance letters should be sent the last two weeks of March and possibly into the first week of April.

I've also heard in the past that NYU admits students without interviewing them. This process is starting to get long. I've already got into my top choice (Northwestern) but I still want to hear back from other schools before I decide.

Originally posted by Miriam May:
I got an email last friday saying that someone would be calling me "within the next few days" to discuss my interest in the program. Then, monday morning--without warning-- I get a call on my cell phone from the interviewer. She was very nice but I felt totally caught off guard. At the beginning of the interview she admitted that she hadnt even looked at my file so she knew nothing about me. I wasn't sure what to make of that... The interview lasted around ten to fifteen minutes. I was really nervous because I felt unprepared and as if I wasnt given a chance to put my best foot forward.

So that's what happened. here's hoping for the best...!

Oh man! I'd feel totally off guard as well. That sucks that it happened that way. What if you didn't pick up your phone? Or what if they woke you up in the morning. I guess it could be worse, but man that makes me nervous...

Btw, what sort of things did they ask you? It sounded like it was short so I guess it was the usual questions like: 1.) Why NYU, 2.) Why should we pick you, 3.) Why are you interested in film, etc?

I'm glad this thread is staying alive. Does anyone have a sense of how many people have been either contacted about getting a call or actually called? I can't tell if Miriam is one of few who've been called so far or just the only one on this site.

To be honest, when they told pintobeans that they'd be closed over the spring break I considered it a blow-off, since I know they are open. Maybe they are just trying to deflect constant calls about decisions until letters go out? Any ideas?

Hi FarhanAli:

Congrats on Northwestern! It must be nice to know.

It did occur to me after that phone interview that I could have (and maybe should have) told her that it was a bad time, and she needed to call back later. Then I could have prepared a bit. But, I panicked and kind of just wanted to get it over with.

She asked me what kinds of movies I want to make, what are my goals and what are my influences. I think that was basically it. It was fairly short. She had not read my file so she did not ask about anything I had submitted.

I find it disturbing that I am the only person so far that had this experience. Maybe I dreamed the whole thing up?

I hope we hear sooooon. (and i hope nobody from admissions has discovered this crazy msg board!)

Hey all,

I applied to NYU Grad Dramatic Writing this year too. I have not received any notification yey or nay yet, nor have I received any word about a phone interview.

To boot, I'm primarily a PLAYWRIGHT (you study screenwriting/playwrighting/TV writing simultaneously in the program) so I'm even more unsure if the lack of a phone interview is thumbs up or down for me!

Miriam it's strange to me that they interviewed you but that the interview was so generalized... didn't even seem like it was a member of the selections committee, since they didn't ask you specific questions about your application, or about the script you submitted. It's really great you got interviewed, but I'm trying to figure out why, what they were after, what they wanted to learn about you?

Ugh, this has made an already stressful wait 1000% more stressful! Once anyone hears, please post.

Good luck to us all!!!

Miriam May,
I had a very similar situation to yours with the interview. When the interviewer phoned me on a Sunday, it was at a bad time and I did request that we speak at another time. I made an appointment and called her back that evening. She was very positive, but I still felt unprepared. She also said that she did not have my file in front of her and was not familiar with my script (?). Afterwards, I felt that was odd and it was clearly not my best interview. I am resolve to think "they" just wanted to hear our voices and get a sense of what we are like as people(?). That's all I could determine. She was very nice and positive, but no I have not heard any more. Will keep you posted!

Ihaven't heard anything. I was told letters would be mailed this week and next. I'm still confused why some people are getting interviews. The department of dramatic writing told me that they were not doing interviews this year. Maybe that's a bad sign for me.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back