USC School of Cinematic Arts Film & TV Production Spring 2020

Edouard, or anyone else (e..g, an accepted student) who might know the answer to this: would you consider it a bad idea to choose for your writing sample to submit a 2-page short film treatment that also happens to be the treatment for the short film you submit as your video option?

thanks in advance

Edouard N

Edouard, or anyone else (e..g, an accepted student) who might know the answer to this: would you consider it a bad idea to choose for your writing sample to submit a 2-page short film treatment that also happens to be the treatment for the short film you submit as your video option?

thanks in advance
I would recommend against doing this, to be honest. In my opinion, every application material you submit should provide the reviewing committee with more information about you as a filmmaker. The more data points you can produce that show how creative you are, and prove that you know how to tell a story, the better. Plus, using a different writing sample can allow you to correct for any insecurities you have about the rest of your application material. For example, I felt insecure that my video option came across a tad juvenile, so, in my project questions, I really laid it on thick about how structured/organized I am, with a very professional format and tone.

In a nutshell, your application portfolio is exactly that—a portfolio. And the common wisdom for any successful portfolio is: diversify!

I would recommend against doing this, to be honest. In my opinion, every application material you submit should provide the reviewing committee with more information about you as a filmmaker. The more data points you can produce that show how creative you are, and prove that you know how to tell a story, the better. Plus, using a different writing sample can allow you to correct for any insecurities you have about the rest of your application material. For example, I felt insecure that my video option came across a tad juvenile, so, in my project questions, I really laid it on thick about how structured/organized I am, with a very professional format and tone.

In a nutshell, your application portfolio is exactly that—a portfolio. And the common wisdom for any successful portfolio is: diversify!
thanks, Edouard!

Sopheeeyah

I'd be happy to help :) USC faculty members often say the personal statement is the most important application material, so it's important to get this one right. Please shoot me a DM if you want some direct feedback on your statement. If you have more general question, feel free to just ask it here on the forum. All the best!
Hello Edouard,

Congratulations to you. I would be sending you a DM asap.

storyteller

Hey everyone!

I am working on my application right now, and I was wondering if there is a particular format for the essays. Is it okay to submit the documents in Times New Roman 10 w/ 1,5 space?

storyteller

Does anyone know if it's okay to submit my official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admission after the deadline? I haven't mailed it yet because I only got my 10-digit ID now and I am worried they'll stop considering me 🙃

ases51140

Hey everyone,
I have applied USC Spring 2020 and I am an international student. But I really worry about my TOEFL score because the score is not above 100. 😭😭😭😭

17YANG

Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant for 2020 Spring, and I got an email this afternoon to inform me that there will be an one on one FaceTime/skype conversation. The professor gave me a list and told me I can choose 2 times to speak with him. They're all in the next three days. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

TayTay

People who were waitlisted in the Fall, and attending in the Spring should be getting their official addmitance soon if they haven't already. I and several others have gotten ours.

Lou

Not me ... first time applicant .... curious if anyone who hasn't been waitlisted prior has heard anything.

Lou

This is my first time applying to USC. I had a phone interview over the weekend.
It was labeled as a chat with only 24 hours prior notice, but it felt like an interview and lasted upwards to 30 + minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any contact with the school.
I'm also curious about when the decisions will be made. I know in the previous forums it says anywhere between the 10th-21st of October.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews