USC School of Cinematic Arts Film & TV Production Spring 2020

Edouard, or anyone else (e..g, an accepted student) who might know the answer to this: would you consider it a bad idea to choose for your writing sample to submit a 2-page short film treatment that also happens to be the treatment for the short film you submit as your video option?

thanks in advance

Edouard, or anyone else (e..g, an accepted student) who might know the answer to this: would you consider it a bad idea to choose for your writing sample to submit a 2-page short film treatment that also happens to be the treatment for the short film you submit as your video option?

thanks in advance

I would recommend against doing this, to be honest. In my opinion, every application material you submit should provide the reviewing committee with more information about you as a filmmaker. The more data points you can produce that show how creative you are, and prove that you know how to tell a story, the better. Plus, using a different writing sample can allow you to correct for any insecurities you have about the rest of your application material. For example, I felt insecure that my video option came across a tad juvenile, so, in my project questions, I really laid it on thick about how structured/organized I am, with a very professional format and tone.

In a nutshell, your application portfolio is exactly that—a portfolio. And the common wisdom for any successful portfolio is: diversify!

I would recommend against doing this, to be honest. In my opinion, every application material you submit should provide the reviewing committee with more information about you as a filmmaker. The more data points you can produce that show how creative you are, and prove that you know how to tell a story, the better. Plus, using a different writing sample can allow you to correct for any insecurities you have about the rest of your application material. For example, I felt insecure that my video option came across a tad juvenile, so, in my project questions, I really laid it on thick about how structured/organized I am, with a very professional format and tone.

In a nutshell, your application portfolio is exactly that—a portfolio. And the common wisdom for any successful portfolio is: diversify!

thanks, Edouard!

I'd be happy to help :) USC faculty members often say the personal statement is the most important application material, so it's important to get this one right. Please shoot me a DM if you want some direct feedback on your statement. If you have more general question, feel free to just ask it here on the forum. All the best!
Hello Edouard,

Congratulations to you. I would be sending you a DM asap.

Hey everyone!

I am working on my application right now, and I was wondering if there is a particular format for the essays. Is it okay to submit the documents in Times New Roman 10 w/ 1,5 space?

Does anyone know if it's okay to submit my official transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admission after the deadline? I haven't mailed it yet because I only got my 10-digit ID now and I am worried they'll stop considering me ?

Hey everyone,
I have applied USC Spring 2020 and I am an international student. But I really worry about my TOEFL score because the score is not above 100. ????

Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant for 2020 Spring, and I got an email this afternoon to inform me that there will be an one on one FaceTime/skype conversation. The professor gave me a list and told me I can choose 2 times to speak with him. They're all in the next three days. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!

People who were waitlisted in the Fall, and attending in the Spring should be getting their official addmitance soon if they haven't already. I and several others have gotten ours.

This is my first time applying to USC. I had a phone interview over the weekend.
It was labeled as a chat with only 24 hours prior notice, but it felt like an interview and lasted upwards to 30 + minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any contact with the school.
I'm also curious about when the decisions will be made. I know in the previous forums it says anywhere between the 10th-21st of October.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back