Columbia 2021 MFA Screenwriting/Directing Applicants

acsiv

Good luck to everybody with your application! Speaking of, does anyone know when Columbia's website will be updated for the 2021 admissions cycle?

Looks like the Columbia Film MFA application is now available. Deadline appears to be December 15th.

Hi did anyone finish the Autobiographical Essay? It's 4-6 pages and I'm struggling to make it to 4-5 pages. Mine seems a little short. How many pages did you write if you don't mind me asking?

Hi did anyone finish the Autobiographical Essay? It's 4-6 pages and I'm struggling to make it to 4-5 pages. Mine seems a little short. How many pages did you write if you don't mind me asking?
Mine was about five pages! I was struggling at first but was able to think of a few bits I wanted to include. Good luck!!

Mine was about five pages! I was struggling at first but was able to think of a few bits I wanted to include. Good luck!!
Hi thanks for your reply! May I ask how you formatted your film treatment? Did you divide your story into 3 acts?

Hi thanks for your reply! May I ask how you formatted your film treatment? Did you divide your story into 3 acts?
I made sure to follow this part of the instructions, "including major characters and plot developments and a clear statement of the resolution," but I didn't specify the acts. It's more like a synopsis than an outline because they only gave us one page.

I made sure to follow this part of the instructions, "including major characters and plot developments and a clear statement of the resolution," but I didn't specify the acts. It's more like a synopsis than an outline because they only gave us one page.
Thank you so much! I have one more question if you don't mind me asking. About the Columbia film prompt, do I have to copy and past the prompt to my script word for word or am I allowed to just use the 'concept' of it and slightly change it? For example, if I choose this prompt,

INT. LIBRARY – MORNING
The TWO WOMEN, 50’s, burst through the library doors and race into the shelves. Scanning the titles of books, they stop short when they spot the exact one they’ve been searching for. One of them grabs for it, but the other stops her before she can open it up.

Am I allowed to add some details like what kind of library or how the characters look on the outside perhaps?

Thank you so much! I have one more question if you don't mind me asking. About the Columbia film prompt, do I have to copy and past the prompt to my script word for word or am I allowed to just use the 'concept' of it and slightly change it? For example, if I choose this prompt,

INT. LIBRARY – MORNING
The TWO WOMEN, 50’s, burst through the library doors and race into the shelves. Scanning the titles of books, they stop short when they spot the exact one they’ve been searching for. One of them grabs for it, but the other stops her before she can open it up.

Am I allowed to add some details like what kind of library or how the characters look on the outside perhaps?
I didn't add any extra details except the character's name and brief description but I didn't see anything in the instructions saying you couldn't!

Hi guys! I was wondering if I could ask where everyone put the logline on their 10-page sample? I'm also a little conflicted because I basically took out the best 10 pages from a 30 page pilot but they don't run together in the actual thing. It works and doesn't sound off at all but I'm now wondering if that's allowed? I just think the 10 pages I've picked show off my writing better? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi guys! I was wondering if I could ask where everyone put the logline on their 10-page sample? I'm also a little conflicted because I basically took out the best 10 pages from a 30 page pilot but they don't run together in the actual thing. It works and doesn't sound off at all but I'm now wondering if that's allowed? I just think the 10 pages I've picked show off my writing better? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I put my log line on the title page of the sample. I'm not sure about the other concern though.

It's deadline day! Getting down to the wire! :)

Good luck everyone.

countdown GIF

Hi! I haven't seen a thread for this year so I just thought I'd make one. I applied for the screenwriting/directing side and am anxiously awaiting. Has anyone heard back about interviews yet?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back