NYU Tisch MFA Film 2014 applicants

I got my email on the 19th. Got accepted! Congrats to everyone else that got accepted as well. I'm just waiting to hear back from Columbia and AFI before I make my final decision. To the people that applied to multiple schools -- where does NYU fall on your list of preferences?

REJECTED TODAY!

Thankfully, I was accepted very early to USC. I initially applied to film schools because of how bad I wanted to live in New York... but after getting accepted to USC, I began to realize how much of a distraction the big city would be (it's a bona-fide 24 hour amusement park).

Though NYU is the ultimate environment for EVERYTHING other than class, I started looking at bright side: Los Angeles has less distractions, an overabundance of internships/connections (this is what makes NYU film students competitive rather than collaborative), and the infamous Trojan family bond: helping one another with jobs post graduation.

Though it's a big suck to be rejected from NYU, I can accept that it was my own fault: my video submission had to be re-uploaded LATE due to technical difficulties and recommendation letters arrived January 15. To any future applicants reading this, MAKE DAMN SURE you get everything in on time.

Good luck to everyone else... I would love to hear your opinions on California vs. New York!

I got accepted. I was called around the same time as everyone else (last week) and got my formal acceptance on Friday. To my surprise they're offering to help with 15k for the first year and each one after that if I can keep a certain average.

I was thinking of applying to USC cos I never got around to it last year (tried AFI but they said no), but I think this offer seals the deal for me. Plus, I'm really inspired by recent Tisch grad Cary Fukunaga, working with Sundance indies like Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre and now doing True Detective, he's a wonderful example of an artist that is socially minded but can also hit in the big leagues.

At this point I'm 90% certain 'm going to NYU. If anyone would like to contact me (fellow classmates, or aspiring applicants) you can find me as Alfonso Jaramillo Gomez on Facebook or email me at alfonso.jaramillo@hotmail.com

Hope to meet some new faces before the fall term starts. To those who've had an interview and still haven't heard back, there's a chance you're being wait listed, don't give up hope.

Good luck

I just received my rejection letter from NYU. I got rejected by Calarts and UCLA as well. Is there anyone who would not mind having a look at my portfolio, SOP, scripts and resume to give me an opinion on what could have gone wrong? I mean the ones who have selected! 8mm kinkypigtails? if you are free. No pressure. I just generally want an opinion from my peers so that I can make a better portfolio this September.

Hey! I got your email. I'll go through all of the material and I'll give you my feedback. The important thing is to not give up! Just to remind everyone, I sent my first application five years ago, and spent all these years perfecting my CV, reel, and other elements necessary for the application, and now I got accepted with a scholarship. So it's definitely about being stubborn and just keep insisting. Please pick your applications carefully because most universities will not look at your application after the third try.

Hi kinkypigtails! Is NYU your first choice? I was accepted at USC (for screenwriting) as well, but I'm leaning towards NYU at this point.

Sunny2511 I was accepted for directing. I hope you hear good news soon! :)

Hey 8mm! NYU was indeed my first choice. Congrats on USC as well. I'm sure it's a tough decision for us both but I'm kinda swaying towards NYU -- I feel it's a gigantic opportunity I don't want to decline.

If we that's what we both decide, then hope to see in New York :)

I got accepted. I was called around the same time as everyone else (last week) and got my formal acceptance on Friday. To my surprise they're offering to help with 15k for the first year and each one after that if I can keep a certain average.

I was thinking of applying to USC cos I never got around to it last year (tried AFI but they said no), but I think this offer seals the deal for me. Plus, I'm really inspired by recent Tisch grad Cary Fukunaga, working with Sundance indies like Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre and now doing True Detective, he's a wonderful example of an artist that is socially minded but can also hit in the big leagues.

At this point I'm 90% certain 'm going to NYU. If anyone would like to contact me (fellow classmates, or aspiring applicants) you can find me as Alfonso Jaramillo Gomez on Facebook or email me at alfonso.jaramillo@hotmail.com

Hope to meet some new faces before the fall term starts. To those who've had an interview and still haven't heard back, there's a chance you're being wait listed, don't give up hope.

Good luck

Hey congrats, Alfonso! I think I have my heart set on NYU as well and yes, after watching Fukunaga's work, it gave me confidence in their program.

I sent you a friend request. I'm Kevin btw.

I just received my rejection letter from NYU. I got rejected by Calarts and UCLA as well. Is there anyone who would not mind having a look at my portfolio, SOP, scripts and resume to give me an opinion on what could have gone wrong? I mean the ones who have selected! 8mm kinkypigtails? if you are free. No pressure. I just generally want an opinion from my peers so that I can make a better portfolio this September.

Sunny2511 Don't feel discouraged or give up! This was my second time applying to film school and I believe it only made me a stronger applicant. I'll be glad to offer any feedback you may need. Feel free to message inbox or email me at catharticpictures@gmail.com

Anyone planning on going to the info session on April 12th for admitted students to the dramatic writing program? I'd love to go, but it'll be hard for me to fly out.

Just read through a couple of the threads and it's great how supportive everyone is on here. I was accepted into NYU & Columbia's MFA directing program. I was wondering if anyone is in the same position/had any insight on the pros & cons of each program. If so I would love to hear from you: jacynoel@gmail.com

Also, feel free to email me! Don't know how much insight I can give but would love to help if I can.

I'm going to the info session on the 12th. Is anyone else? Would love to meet up with some of you guys if you're around.

Just read through a couple of the threads and it's great how supportive everyone is on here. I was accepted into NYU & Columbia's MFA directing program. I was wondering if anyone is in the same position/had any insight on the pros & cons of each program. If so I would love to hear from you: jacynoel@gmail.com

Jnoel, I'm in the exact same boat as you -- trying to decide between Columbia and NYU. It's incredibly difficult.

Both are in NYC, both are incredible programs. From researching online, it seems that they differ slightly in philosophy and scope. NYU seems to have a more broad program, offering a general "production" MFA much like USC, whereas Columbia offers a more focused "writing/directing" MFA, which is ultimately what I want to do. NYU alumni have more "credits" in the industry overall, but it is also an older and more established program when compared to Columbia. Columbia is constantly growing, has amazing accolades on it's own, and has incredible representation in festivals and in the Sundance labs. NYU seems to focus more on the technical side of filmmaking, while Columbia seems to focus on story, story, and more story (which is what is most important to me).

So, from the above, it seems like I'm leaning more toward Columbia (which I am), but I keep second guessing myself and looking more at NYU. I love both. Can anyone offer some insight into these programs? Obviously, not many people have gone to both, but I'd love to hear what you current/graduated student thought of the programs!

Jnoel, I'm in the exact same boat as you -- trying to decide between Columbia and NYU. It's incredibly difficult.

Both are in NYC, both are incredible programs. From researching online, it seems that they differ slightly in philosophy and scope. NYU seems to have a more broad program, offering a general "production" MFA much like USC, whereas Columbia offers a more focused "writing/directing" MFA, which is ultimately what I want to do. NYU alumni have more "credits" in the industry overall, but it is also an older and more established program when compared to Columbia. Columbia is constantly growing, has amazing accolades on it's own, and has incredible representation in festivals and in the Sundance labs. NYU seems to focus more on the technical side of filmmaking, while Columbia seems to focus on story, story, and more story (which is what is most important to me).

So, from the above, it seems like I'm leaning more toward Columbia (which I am), but I keep second guessing myself and looking more at NYU. I love both. Can anyone offer some insight into these programs? Obviously, not many people have gone to both, but I'd love to hear what you current/graduated student thought of the programs!

Hey guys, long-time lurker here.

Also got accepted to NYU and Columbia and I don't know how to decide. I feel the exact same way as you do, connorsimpson and jnoel. Have you decided where to go?

Hey guys, long-time lurker here.

Also got accepted to NYU and Columbia and I don't know how to decide. I feel the exact same way as you do, connorsimpson and jnoel. Have you decided where to go?
That's interesting how many people this year got accepted to NYU and Columbia. I am in the same boat too, but I am surprised about your doubt. NYU has a strong post-production and pre-production-rooms, in contrast CU has no more than 10 rooms for all of classes and faculty's offices. BTW that's my opinion. I'm pretty sure that NYU is my choice. Hope to see you.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• UC Berkeley
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    Concentration: Film and Media Studies
    UC Berkeley Film Packs a Punch!
    I absolutely loved my time at UC Berkeley and I would not have traded doing my undergrad there even for a top spot at UCLA for a BFA in Film...
    • 8ballqueen
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back