USC Screenwriting MFA - Fall 2019

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
ah yes the rejection letter has finally graced my inbox i just sat there in silence and then tears began falling uncontrollably haha wow i feel like garbage
Don't feel bad! It's a hard school to get into. A good amount of the people who were accepted this year were denied previous years.

Keep your head up! Keep writing!

BuddernScotch

Why
ah yes the rejection letter has finally graced my inbox i just sat there in silence and then tears began falling uncontrollably haha wow i feel like garbage
Why!??!? Please nooooooo!!! What Ive realized in 3 yrs of applying to USC and now to other schools is that they may want a particular thing that you are not and you may never figure out what exactly it is that they DO want. It's not even that the "best" writers get into USC or UCLA or AFI etc. Competitive doesn't mean ALL the good ones get in, as evident by all those making films now that couldn't get into a SINGLE film school!

It's not that you're not good enough, but you're just not what they're looking for. It's like people, you know? Would you even be happy with a place that wants people unlike you? Research some other places that may mesh better with you. There's many film schools out there and many other routes to get where you want.

Ask yourself why you really want to go to USC, and figure out what other ways you can achieve that. Do you want to have a network in LA and have great courses professors and peers while you hone your skills? There are sooo many other choices girlie!! So many it literally boggles my mind as I read about other amazing programs our fellow forumn-ers are getting great offers from.

Please don't let a random anonymous group of people judging a random set of factors that may not even primarily involve skill, make you feel like you're not worth it!

Last edited:

Operator

Just checked...still no notice.

Shade

Don't despair!!! I didn't apply to USC bc I couldn't afford tuition (not even with a scholarship) but I know a lot of people who didn't get into USC and got into manyyy other schools (and people who got rejected everywhere else except for USC --I have an opinion on this but it might be controversial). My point is, there's more than one way of getting there and I can tell you're passionate about writing --I'm 100% sure you'll make it. I always tell this to myself, in case it helps: raw talent doesn't make a career, perseverance does

These are all true things. On a side note, I don't understand why the school didn't just have rejections automatically sent out at once. I don't understand a lot of things, though. Or maybe I'll just be one of the people who never hear back. For the money I spent applying, I'd hope I'd at least get my rejection letter jaja

Cd23

Just called admissions office. They said we should be finding out anytime. Likely between Monday- Wednesday next week and “not to worry if you have not heard back yet”
I don’t want to crush all of your dreams but I wouldn’t put too much weight into that, if you’re reading it as acceptances will still come

Operator

Got my denial letter.

Mdub_2013

Supporting Member
Got the rejection letter for screenwriting

Latest Applications

Latest reviews