USC Screenwriting MFA - Fall 2019

alanray

I also never heard anything back...

alanray

I finally got my rejection letter from USC. It was dated for March 30. Ridiculous that it took this long.

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
For those who went, @Septopus7, how was the admitted students day?
It was great! And very cool to meet some of you forum-goers in real life, and talk to current students/faculty as well! They certainly do a lot to try to sell you on the program, which makes a great deal of sense. Really something I wish more programs did, but other than NYU, seems like most schools don't have anything similar.

I also got a free t-shirt out of it, which is great, because now I can make future jokes along the lines of "I was accepted into USC and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!" So can't complain about an event that gives me hacky joke material.

Last edited:

Cdemon

I’m surprised more schools don’t do a new student event of some kind too-It helps build a good sense of community. NYU does a lunch- probably cool but it doesn’t seem to have the other activities with it. Maybe other schools do that I’m just not aware of though. Idk.

JEC

FYI, I called USC's admissions department and it turns out they DID make a decision on me but some computer screw up means it didn't get sent out. So I should hear from them in 24 hours. If you haven't heard yet, try giving them a call.

Also, not that I'm expecting good news this late in the game but I got an email from them yesterday about financial aid deadlines. The email specifically said not to treat it as an indication of a decision having been made but I was curious if anyone already rejected from USC got the same email?

Cdemon

FYI, I called USC's admissions department and it turns out they DID make a decision on me but some computer screw up means it didn't get sent out. So I should hear from them in 24 hours. If you haven't heard yet, try giving them a call.

Also, not that I'm expecting good news this late in the game but I got an email from them yesterday about financial aid deadlines. The email specifically said not to treat it as an indication of a decision having been made but I was curious if anyone already rejected from USC got the same email?
I hope you got in- but I got that financial aid email a while ago and was rejected.
Good luck though!

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
So I am officially going with AFI folks, so that means a least one spot will be opening up at USC for the admitted class. So for anyone who got waitlisted, or somehow still hasn't heard back (which I feel might be the Screenwriting divisions way of waitlisting), there will at least be one spot open for you. I wish I could tell the school with my deferral to pick someone specifically on these forums, but alas :(

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
So I am officially going with AFI folks, so that means a least one spot will be opening up at USC for the admitted class. So for anyone who got waitlisted, or somehow still hasn't heard back (which I feel might be the Screenwriting divisions way of waitlisting), there will at least be one spot open for you. I wish I could tell the school with my deferral to pick someone specifically on these forums, but alas :(
Updated Application Tracker so you can now choose that you declined Admission.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW