USC Screenwriting MFA - Fall 2019

ahdumb

If you got waitlisted check the portal. I had an acceptance letter from 4/20 and still haven’t gotten an email.

In light of this news, at least one more slot will still be opening up here or at AFI because inexplicably I’m in at both. The doors aren’t shut just yet.

Best of luck everybody. <3

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
Glad to see people on this forum being offered a seat! At least one of them is mine! Hopefully USC can be more of a reality for y'all.

@ahdu Have you paid the AFI deposit yet?

ahdumb

Yeah I accepted AFI with enthusiasm. And now I’m that asshole struggling to make this call. But all things equal (I’m going into debt either way) it feels borderline stupid to turn down USC.

Cdemon

Yeah I accepted AFI with enthusiasm. And now I’m that asshole struggling to make this call. But all things equal (I’m going into debt either way) it feels borderline stupid to turn down USC.
Also- just practical side (do the school that calls to you clearly), USC is actually cheaper than AFI for Screenwriting. And ask about how much time you have available for internships second year. AFI, speaking to a student not Anna, I was told he did 2 days a week barely but had to cut down to one as it was too much and that that’s pretty standard. Everyone has their own important things, but internships are one of mine and I 🤔 think USC has more days available for them. (But I’m not certain).

Septopus7

Staff member
Supporting Member
As an asshole previously struggling to make the call, I wish you luck. Ultimately I followed the money and, in your case, the money is with USC (@cdemonis right, in that USC costs about $15k less a year than AFI does.) That being said, kinda sucks that you already put down the thousand. Clearly the cost difference between the two already makes up for it, but still...that money is vapor now.

Last edited:

Cdemon

After all the stress of applications maybe you need a drink, or at least some good conversation! If so come to our meetup on 8/24 :) hope to see some of you there!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW