AFI Directing 2018

Frankly, getting to the interview stage is a big deal. Period. Truth be told, I didn't get that at NYU, UT Austin, or UCLA. Thought I'd get one at UCLA this year so that dinged my ego too. It's really a subjective process at a certain level -- for us and them. And it's probably fate that you got into the program that best fits your needs. I'd say Columbia and AFI are the better fit for me, rather than the aforementioned, and I'm lucky I got accepted this time. Frankly, your own hutzpah is really most of you getting a lot out of these programs, no matter the facade of prestige or attributes offered. Congrats again and wish you all the best!
Exactly. It's completely individual and I'm thrilled to know I'll be attending the program I think, after years of dealing with all of this insanity, is going to be perfect for my needs. Not just my wants, but my needs.

Unfortunately, I have been denied. Just created an account to let you guys know. Also unfortunately, AFI was my first and only choice.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about being listed as alternates, and if they were notified that they were an alternate in their original e-mail.

This was my first time applying to any Grad School. I’m 23, so I still got time. Got the interview so that was exciting. Perhaps next year. We’ll see...

Unfortunately, I have been denied. Just created an account to let you guys know. Also unfortunately, AFI was my first an only choice.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about being listed as alternates, and if they were notified that they were an alternate in their original e-mail.

This was my first time applying to any Grad School. I’m 23, so I still got time. Got the interview so that was exciting. Perhaps next year. We’ll see...
Yes you would be notified now that you are an alternate/waitlist. It wouldn't have been the denial email. Congrats on an interview at 23! That's a huge deal at AFI! Speaks very highly of your passion. Keep working, it sounds like you definitely have what it takes.

I GOT IT!!!!!

Exactly. It's completely individual and I'm thrilled to know I'll be attending the program I think, after years of dealing with all of this insanity, is going to be perfect for my needs. Not just my wants, but my needs.
Hey!
Just letting you know that I got accepted in AFI but rejected by Chapman.
Very interesting. lol

Waitlisted. Don't know how to feel :confused:

Waitlisted. Don't know how to feel :confused:
You got into USC and UT Austin: the #1 ranked film school AND a top ten ranked, least expensive film school located in the penultimate festival city with a scholarship, respectively. Feel that you have already won the battle and now have a good decision to make! That is unless you wait. o_O

Last edited:
You got into USC and UT Austin: the #1 ranked film school AND a top ten ranked, least expensive film school located in the penultimate festival city with a scholarship, respectively. Feel that you have already won the battle and now have a good decision to make! That is unless you wait. o_O
Haha thanks Zeno! Yeah I think I have a good problem to deal with. Man, but the choice is really hard. Even after doing a thorough analysis on both schools, I'm still not sure. Pay more than $100k for a prestigious school like USC or study in a great indie-school like UTA for free. I'm attending the Admitted Students Day at USC on April 6th. Maybe that'll help. Anyways, congratulations on getting into your top choice!!! Your hardwork and perseverance has definitely paid off. Be curious to know what you've decided. AFI or Columbia? I'm sure you'll succeed no matter where :D

Hi I got into AFI Directing! I have to choose between AFI and LMU now. I'm 24, international, and this is my first time applying. Some people say AFI is only for pros and I consider myself a semi-pro(well kinda). Would it be in any way tough for me to make it thru the program? Should I go with LMU? Thoughts?!

Hi I got into AFI Directing! I have to choose between AFI and LMU now. I'm 24, international, and this is my first time applying. Some people say AFI is only for pros and I consider myself a semi-pro(well kinda). Would it be in any way tough for me to make it thru the program? Should I go with LMU? Thoughts?!
Both schools have their directing curriculum posted. I would suggest comparing the two and seeing what suits your needs best. As someone who works in film education at the undergrad level, I think that without extensive experience on large sets, it's valuable to learn about all areas of production, which is not possible at a conservatory like AFI. At AFI you will only be directing.

My personal philosophy can be summed up by a Christopher Nolan (paraphrased) quote - "Directors should be mediocre at every department and spend time working in each of them before directing." But you may feel differently about how you want to approach directing and your studies. Which is why I say to look at the classes you're required to take. I think people forget to do this when choosing schools.

Thanks for the question, Ram, and congrats! I was not offered a scholarship but I tend to think that they reserve the majority of funds for international students given that they don't have access to the same level of financial aid domestic folks do. For me, it's now between this program and Columbia. A lot depends on additional scholarship funds freeing up when the "deck gets reshuffled" next week. Specifically, Columbia's April 17th deposit deadline reconfiguring things in advance of AFI's May 1st deposit deadline.

Last edited:
Thanks for the question, Ram, and congrats! I was not offered a scholarship but I tend to think that they reserve the majority of funds for international students given that they don't have access to the same level of financial aid domestic folks do. For me, it's now between this program and Columbia. A lot depends on additional scholarship funds freeing up when the "deck gets reshuffled" next week. Specifically, Columbia's April 17th deposit deadline reconfiguring things in advance of AFI's May 1st deposit deadline.
have you applied for the scholarship?

I did apply for the AFI scholarship but did not receive it on the first pass. Thus far, I'm being offered the Stafford and Grad Plus loans. The latter are comparably high interest rate and are recommend to be more bridge loans, not the bulk of funds (despite what school financial aid officers say), for these reasons. For me, this seems like a tricky deal. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt weighing on one's future. It's a gamble, is all. And it falls on the individual student's shoulders. But, like I say, deposit deadlines syphon students off to other schools and their scholarship funds become available. So, I'm hoping for luck on the second pass.

Last edited:
Hi @Zeno thanks for the reply mate! Sadly I wasn't given the scholarship by AFI too! Congrats with the Columbia admit! Heard that is a such a prestigious school, a friend of mine is going there too. I am international applicant and I can't hope to attend AFI without a scholarship and it's so hard to secure loans back home. Let us hope for the best!

And does AFI reallot Scholarships after the May 1 deadline too?

Hi @Zeno thanks for the reply mate! Sadly I wasn't given the scholarship by AFI too! Congrats with the Columbia admit! Heard that is a such a prestigious school, a friend of mine is going there too. I am international applicant and I can't hope to attend AFI without a scholarship and it's so hard to secure loans back home. Let us hope for the best!

And does AFI reallot Scholarships after the May 1 deadline too?
Such is life, Ram. Regardless, it's true that it's humbling just to get into these schools. Certainly was a pleasant surprise for me. Your story humbles me further given you're international and, therefore, education loans are tough for you to obtain. Nevertheless, unofficially they can re-allot but I'm not sure about protocol, specifically after the deposit deadline. I'll say that I think it's worth it to hold your place just in case they do or you find other outlets on your own. You just never know what's possible.

Look, I'm a working class type guy these days so plunking down these deposits is not easy. It's actually kinda rough. But, I didn't get this far to not push to the goal. Here's hoping the best for you, me, and all here but I recommend that you explore all options. For me, that may be loans at a high interest rate in whole or part but I realize that's a blessing in disguise comparably. Ideally, scholarships get freed up or I find another option. The debt does petrify me. But, the alternative is not going and that'd be a waste of a rare opportunity.

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back