Chapman Directing 2022 entry

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
Applying to Chapman Directing? Here's the official thread for Fall 2022 entry.

Deadline is December 1, 2021​

Chapman University - Dodge College of Film and Media Arts

Chapman University - Dodge College of Film and Media Arts

Rising to number 4 on The Hollywood Reporter's annual rankings of the top 25 American film schools in 2022, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University offers top-notch filmmaking courses in an intimate learning environment. Notable alumni include the Duffer brothers...

Here is FilmSchool.org's Admittance Data for the program from applications in our Film School Application Database:

Here are requirements and creative prompts for this year:

Application Requirements:

• Statement of Intent: Submit an essay expressing your reasons for wanting to join the MFA Film Production, Directing emphasis program. What are your personal and career goals, and how will this particular degree from Chapman University help you reach those goals? Your essay should be double spaced, size 12 font, and 1-2 pages in length.
  • Resume
  • 2 Letters of Recommendation
  • Creative Supplement
Other Required Materials:

• Official copy of your undergraduate transcript from your degree granting institution
  • International Students: Please see "International Applicants" tab below for additional requirements
No additional information should be sent to Dodge College or the Office of Admissions outside of what is required on the application. Any outside work sent to either office will not be reviewed as part of the admission process.

Please note that you may only submit Creative Supplement materials for your 1st choice major selected on the application. No other materials will be reviewed as part of the application process.

The requirements below are for students applying for Fall 2022

Creative Portfolio List

Upload a one (1) to two (2) page list of activities that demonstrates your potential in your area of chosen specialization focusing on creative accomplishments. Include in this list specific items that you could submit, if requested, to Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. Each listing should include a brief description of the work and your role in its creation.

Example of Portfolio listing (use this format):

Title: Roger's Car
Position: Writer/Director
16 minutes, Video 2005. Valley College
Log line: Unusual circumstance allows a sixteen-year-old to get his first car. I wrote this story for a creative writing class and produced the film with the help of my friends.

Transformational Moment Essay

Submit a two (2) page essay describing a transformational moment in your life that fundamentally changed you as a person. Explain how you gained wisdom and greater understanding of the human condition as a result of this experience. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.

Thesis Film Essay

The MFA Directing program requires students to direct three short films. In no more than one (1) page, tell an original story for a thesis film that would run approximately 15-20 minutes in length. Tell the entire story, beginning, middle and end and go into detail. Describe each turn in the plot and what specifically brings it about. Try and tell an original story, ideally inspired by personal experience. It should be your original story and not adapted from material authored by someone else. Bear in mind your budget and shooting schedule will be limited. Essays should be typed, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, one-inch margins on all sides.

Narrative Scene

Pick one (1) of the scenarios below and write a compelling dramatic scene. This may be written in no more than two (2) pages as a short story, single spaced, or in no more than five (5) pages as a screenplay. We are looking for the strength in your storytelling ability.

1. Two siblings who have not spoken to each other in ten years await the start of their father or mother’s funeral and there is a monumental shift in their relationship.
  2. A couple whose marriage is on the verge of falling apart gets stuck in the snow bank together without a working mobile phone, and the best and the worst of their relationship comes out.
  3. Three strangers waiting outside a hospital emergency room, meet by chance, and it changes their lives.
Visual Sample:

Self-introductory Video Essay

Create a self-introductory video essay between two (2) and five (5) minutes in length. Your video should visually highlight something about yourself, your personality, your interests, etc. The only rule is that you may NOT appear in the video in any way (including any photographs of yourself), so be creative. We are primarily looking for your strengths at conveying a story visually and for evidence of your creativity rather than your technical abilities.

Narrative Work-Complete one (1) of the following:

*We prefer candidates to submit original Narrative work, unless they have not directed a narrative film, in which case they should submit the Photo Narrative.*

1.) Original Narrative Film:

You may submit as many of your complete narrative movies (not short reel clips) as you wish. If you have mentioned narrative work in an essay or on the creative resume, please provide those samples by uploading them or providing a link.

2.) Photo Narrative:

In no more than twenty (20) still photographs, tell a story based on this prompt: A character is wandering in a city and encounters a situation that drastically changes his/her life. The photos should be uploaded in the order you wish to convey your story. The submission should be photographs only, and cannot have any writing or descriptions included. We are looking for your ability to tell a visual story without the use of dialogue or description.

When do the decisions go out according to the school?​

Decisions will be released by the end of April.

Also.... BIG news... We are interviewing Chapman admissions the end of October. Let us know what questions you want us to ask them here:

How's everyone's application going? Gooduck!

Please submit your questions to Chapman Admissions here:

We're interviewing them towards the end of October.

Check out our new LONG interview with the Chapman Film School Admissions department:

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1)

Rising to number 4 on The Hollywood Reporter's annual rankings of the top 25 American film schools in 2022, Dodge College of Film and Media Arts at Chapman University offers top-notch filmmaking courses in an intimate learning environment. Notable alumni include the Duffer brothers...

Does anyone has a problem of submitting transcript? It’s a required piece but there’s no place in the website to attach it

So now that the deadline has come and gone. How'd the application go for everyone? Hopefully you were able to turn it in on time?

If you haven't yet please remember to add your application to our application database:

Good luck everyone!

hi everyone, got an interview request too and so excited (!!) but bc of some time difference and having to work all day, i've only just now been able to open the link to schedule a virtual interview and am seeing that all the slots are already filled. i know this is unlikely, but this doesn't mean there are no spots left for me, right? D: freaking out a teeny bit and emailed admissions but won't get a response till mon, so was wondering if anyone else encountered the same issue?

hi everyone, got an interview request too and so excited (!!) but bc of some time difference and having to work all day, i've only just now been able to open the link to schedule a virtual interview and am seeing that all the slots are already filled. i know this is unlikely, but this doesn't mean there are no spots left for me, right? D: freaking out a teeny bit and emailed admissions but won't get a response till mon, so was wondering if anyone else encountered the same issue?

Yeah, when I hopped on to select a time slot (literally 2 minutes after I got the email), there were already very few available. Chapman has been really good about answering my questions, so I think once Monday comes around, they should definitely get back to you! If they asked to interview you, I'm sure they are more than willing to help make that happen :)

Yeah, when I hopped on to select a time slot (literally 2 minutes after I got the email), there were already very few available. Chapman has been really good about answering my questions, so I think once Monday comes around, they should definitely get back to you! If they asked to interview you, I'm sure they are more than willing to help make that happen :)
ah i see--didn't think it would fill up so quickly! now i know.
i really hope they do make more online slots available (i'm not in the us so i can't go for an in-person interview). thanks for the reassurance, guess i'll just have to see what they say on mon!

I had mine with Michael and Kevin. It was only around 20 minutes or so, virtually. They asked I think two questions each about what films I liked from last year and collaboration with a writer on the first cycle film. And I think they asked why I wanted to direct.

Honestly, it’s so hard to tell with these online stats and I don’t trust it’s accuracy entirely. But using your energy to worry isn’t super helpful! The application process is out of our control at this stage and so I’d take it easy and just know that whatever is meant to be will be 😌

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back